• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Introducing myself/coolant fan problems

kjjohn

New CEG'er
Hi, my name is Keegan. I own a 1998 2.0 liter Ford Contour. It used to be my mom's, and while she had it, the engine and transmission were replaced after it got a cracked head. The guys who did the installation are friends of my uncle's, and I don't think they really knew what they were doing, since problems have been cropping up ever since. Most recently, the cooling fan burnt out, which I've heard is a problem that can happen on the 1998 model. I replaced it myself with a new dual cooling fan. Immediatly after the fan installation was complete, I started the car. Within about ten seconds, the fan kicked in, which I'm sure isn't normal. However, I figured that it at least works, and it should be fine to drive with the fan running at all times. I started it up several times after that, and got the same result.

However, about a month after that, I got the car registered, and I took it for a drive. The fan never turned on once, even once I turned on the A/C. Stranger yet, the temp gauge seems to move gradually up like it should, but then stops moving right when it reaches the beginning of the "normal" area.

Examining under the hood, I realized that the connector for what I believe is the coolant temp sending unit (on top of thermostat housing) was unplugged. I plugged it back it, then also realized that on of the connectors attached to the dual fan (a wide, short one) was not plugged it to anything, and I could not find a matching connector.

Could someone please help! Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this in the new member section, but I really need to fix this soon!

Never mind. Somehow, the ground cable came disconnected! I was messing around with the relays, and I saw it just hanging there. Temp sensor (and possibly sender too) are definitely faulty, but if I unplug the sensor the fan will at least run on high at all times until I can replace the sensor.

Back