• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tie Rod end threads

Alex532

CEG'er
Does anyone know what size threads the inner tie rod attaches to the outer tie rod end with? Mine are messed up for some reason and I don't want to replace the inner tie rod, so I thought it would be easier to buy the correct die and fix it.

Anyone?

Does anyone know what size threads the inner tie rod attaches to the outer tie rod end with? Mine are messed up for some reason and I don't want to replace the inner tie rod, so I thought it would be easier to buy the correct die and fix it.

Anyone?

First of all... Holy crap, you converted a 2.0L contour to a 2.5L? I applaud you, thats a HUGE bit of work.

and... you are really better off just replacing the inner tie rods.

Here's the complete deal, I just put a new rack in my car when I put the whole new engine and transmission in...Aparently this remanufactured rack had some bad threads on the end of the passenger side tie rod, or I damaged them some how trying to install the outer tie rod end, either way that are messed up. Since the inner tie rod is brand new, I figured I should probably just straighten up the threads a little instead of messing with replacing the inner tie rod.

Has anyone replaced the inner tie rod on one of these contour racks? I really hate doing inner tie rods while the rack is in the car.

About the 2.5L going in the 2.0L car...That was one crazy challenge, I'd say the hardest part was making the wire harness from the 2.5L ATX work with a manual transmission. At that time I wasn't about to fork out the $500 for a engine wire harness.

If the threads sre not badly damaged, I would go to sears and get the tap and die set for sure. It would probably easier, and maybe cheaper. In any case, if it works, you'll be left over with some tools that you diddn't have before. That's a good thing in my books.

For future reference, the threads that the outer tie rod end screw on to the inner tie rod with are 16M 1.5 .

I cleaned them up and the outer tie rod end screwed on perfectly...Much easier than trying to replace the inner tie rod.

Back