• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E Brake Light On

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, so it's been on for quite a while. There are a few uses that this light imposes.

1 Well, no crap, your e-brake is lifted, turning the light on

2 If you have low brake fluid and it dips belows the minimum line, the light will flash, or turn on. Depending on how low.

ALSO! There are two different lightings for that light. A full on bright, to a dimmer status light. I have full brake fluid level, and I also check my e-brake everytime I drive to make sure the light turns on brighter everytime I pull it up. SO, with that, what would cause it to stay on? ABS lines messed up? Sensor broken? It is the dimmer light status of the two. It turns brighter when I pull the e-brake.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?
Thanks.

my abs fuse was not properly in and that caused the e-brake light and the abs light to come on

i meant mine are...that mean my abs is ••••ed? not trying to hi-jack thread tho

My abs light is on and I have had it checked by 2 different shops. They told me my abs system is fine that all 4 corners are reading the same speed. They test drove it and the car stops fine and abs works like it suppose to. I would have a brake shop look at it. They can hook up a diagnostic tool to it.

do they charge for that? and i know my abs does not work and not sure how long its not worked. my cougar was made before march or may or what ever. so its the early 99 model. im not even sure if those came with abs

do they charge for that? and i know my abs does not work and not sure how long its not worked. my cougar was made before march or may or what ever. so its the early 99 model. im not even sure if those came with abs

I dunno if they charge.....mine did not but I was having other work done.

I'm going to say your battery is dying. Just went through this, the telltale sign is the dim/bright level that changes with the lever position.

~Mike~

The E brake switch is just a on/off switch. Its either on or off. It should not get brighter the more the brake is set. I have never seen one that does that. Check the switch in the console at the handle.

Well, it does get brighter, and dimmer. And it's not a matter of "how much the brake is set". When the ebrake handle is down, it is at it's dim lighting. When the e brake handle is engaged or, whenever it trips the e brake light when it's supposed to, it gets brighter. Would you like for some video? Because I can do that when I get out of class in a few hours.

That's what I'm trying to get at. When the handle is down, it's on. When I pull it up, it gets brighter. My question is, what does it mean when it stays on when the handle is down? Is that a bad connection (What are the symptoms of a bad connection, because if the connection is bad, shouldn't it just not come on at all?) Is it an ABS thing? Does it detect air in the system? What is it exactly?

Back