• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The MTX-75 transmssion

jamesmason

CEG'er
I've been researching the MTX-75 transmission because I'm trying to replace the one I have now. BAT catalog has them on sale but say their for the 2.5 V6. it's the same one that I have from what it looks like but I have the I4 zetec. Are these transmissions compatible or would I be able to use the inner gearing or is it completely different. What do you think

Welcome, but did you make any effort to look for an answer before you posted?

You told us it is a 4 cylinder, but you didn't give us a year. That would help.

You cannot use a V6 trans on a 4 cylinder car. The bell housing pattern does not match.

There are two types of MTX75 transmissions used on the Contour. The rod shift 95-97 and the cable shift 98-00. They are not interchangable.

Most of the stuff inside the different transmissions are interchangable. The biggest exceptions are the final drives (different ratio between the 4 cylinder and the V6) and the shift related stuff. Although I say most, it is not a sure bet that you will find everything inside one trans to repair another.

You're two best options at this point are to find a used wrecking yard trans that is from the same engine and in the same year range and to contact Terry Haines to rebuild yours.

Tony should be along in a few to provide you with contact information for Terry.

I looked for the answer at trademotions ford parts mechanical catalog and throughout the collision catalog as well, I also researched the history on the MTX 75 and i've only found mention of it's uses for the zetec in the contour and focus I wasn't sure if the transmission for the v6 was just retrofitted to change the bolt pattern or if it was the same. I really need the first/second gear sync gear in order to get it back into good condition but when I ran into this CEG researching and found SPmotorsport mtx 75 on the BAT catalog that interested me because of the price and different final gear. my i4 is well built now but I would like to get the transmission back in order to make it full proof.

1997 contour i4 dohc modified
pacific green
no traction control
no abs

I would send your current transmission to Terry...I just got mine back from him, he does excellent work.

If you need a rod shifting 95-97 one to send to him so you don't have any down time, I've got one in my garage that works...It sometimes felt a little rough going into first, but other than that was perfect before I removed it.

Back