• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Tires Rubbing On Fender

Xanthus1132

CEG'er
Only happens with a bit of weight in the trunk or 1+ rear passengers.
Leaves a line traveling the circumference of the tire on the outside wall near the top.
Doesnt constantly rub unless there's considerable amount of weight (weight in the trunk + 1 or more rear passengers.
Rubs every time a bump is hit with 1+ rear passengers and/or weight in the trunk.

Supposed be on car:
Front & Rear
3.809 inches = Sidewall Height
8.46 inches = Tire Width

Front:215/45R17
Rear: 215/45R17

On Car:
Front:
4.232 inches = Sidewall Height
8.46 inches = Tire Width
Rear:
4.429 inches = Sidewall Height
8.858 inches = Tire Width

Front: 215/50R17
Rear: 225/50R17

Difference:

Front Tires On The Car Are:
0.423 inches Taller
0.0 inches Wider
Than what are supposed to be on the car

Rear Tires On The Car Are:
0.62 inches Taller
0.398 inches Wider
Than what are supposed to be on the car

I had the car checked out, and was told nothing mechanically is wrong, the struts, the springs, the trailing arm, all check out to be in great shape which is why i listed the tire sizes.
My question to all of you, can that little bit of a difference in sizes cause the tire rubbing?
I also tried putting the front tires in the rear and the rear in the front, there was still rubbing in the same scenarios in the rear, seemed like less, but could've been wishful thinking i guess.

the factory tire is a 215/50/16. the difference between that and a 215/50/16 is 1" in overall diameter. this means that the tires you have on the car right now are 1"+ to tall.

Thanks Striker2, I'm going to be trying what you suggested in the other thread (215/45/17 Tires all around) . I figured it became a troubleshooting rather than a general discussion and it didnt belong there.

not to mention that with 17" wheels on the car, it's possible the offset is not ideal either. what rims are they?

either way it's common...if you stick your head in the wheel well you'll see a metal tab where the bumper meets the sheetmetal. just bash it with a hammer and it will most likely help. otherwise the tire is rubbing on the lip of the wheel well itself, which means cutting or rolling.

imo it's probably the tab though. those tires are too tall though. must look a little weird.

not to mention that with 17" wheels on the car, it's possible the offset is not ideal either. what rims are they?

either way it's common...if you stick your head in the wheel well you'll see a metal tab where the bumper meets the sheetmetal. just bash it with a hammer and it will most likely help. otherwise the tire is rubbing on the lip of the wheel well itself, which means cutting or rolling.

imo it's probably the tab though. those tires are too tall though. must look a little weird.

The rims on there right now are Superleggeras, I just tried hitting the tab 20 minutes ago, and theres no way itll stop the rubbing, but like you said i guess it'll help but im looking for a fix so I guess I'm back to having to get new tires. If that doesnt fix it then I'm S.O.L. because itll just ruin 2 more tires..

Back