• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1-2 Bang Shift Question

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
Does the 1-2 Bang shift apply to 98's? I've noticed that my first to second goes in alot worst then 2-3, and 3-4. But with the way I drive I could imagine the trans taking a crap. lol

I know its a fairly quick and easy fix, so if I can take the shot at it, I will.

i had that problem too. trans mounts were fine, but the shift tower was worn and out of adjustment. make sure the center/center of the thing is setup right on teh plastic connectors. my shifter was setup to go way into first, third, and fifth, but it barely traveled enough to get to second, fourth, and reverse. so when i was slammin gears, it wouldnt go all the way into second most often. 5 minutes later, i had it adjusted correctly in the middle, and i put in a new shift tower to take away the play mine had from being so worn in the center of the assembly. now i can slam second and grab it every time.

i had that problem too. trans mounts were fine, but the shift tower was worn and out of adjustment. make sure the center/center of the thing is setup right on teh plastic connectors. my shifter was setup to go way into first, third, and fifth, but it barely traveled enough to get to second, fourth, and reverse. so when i was slammin gears, it wouldnt go all the way into second most often. 5 minutes later, i had it adjusted correctly in the middle, and i put in a new shift tower to take away the play mine had from being so worn in the center of the assembly. now i can slam second and grab it every time.

since he is automatic I doubt he experiences the same problem as you experienced in the past

Thanks for the link to neco.

Looks like one to add to the list of the to-do. Although this should be easier to do in the cold then anything else.

Back