• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Will crank but wont fire, 95 mystique 2.5 5sp

mmmbeer84

Be Gentle I'm New Here
hi guys, first time poster here. i have a 95 mystique i have had as my daily driver for about 4 years. i have put 70,000 on it and it is at 150,000 miles now. i gave it a good detailing and went to lunch fine came back 2 hours to leave work and it wouldnt start, but cranked day, i have checked numerous things and cant seem to figure it out, including making sure the engine compartment was dry.( so you know it did not have the wire harness recall done and alot of the insulation in the engine compartment is fraying so it could be part of the cause) i have checked for fuel, spark air and compression and it still wont start. checked fuel filter, fuel pump, all fuses, spark plugs and more.....Could the crankshaft sensor be intermittently failing?????

it did however start one morning after unplugging the mass airflow senor but it died and wouldnt start again as soon as i got it out of the parking space. im am about done with her and dont want to let her go but the blue book is only 300 dollars so im not willing to put that much work into it. i need to get on on the road or get it gone. either option is open. car is manual 5 spd, and located in maryland.

You say it cranks - how, what sound does it make?
- does it turn over? If yes, maybe double check your above list again.
- doesn't turn over but scratches/whizz/whines while trying to start? Maybe the starter.

Insulation fraying makes me think of the insulated pipe near the EGR valve and PCV (rear-driver's side of engine). When this insulation comes off or slides down, it is dangerously close to the PCV tubing, and can be hot enough to melt through it, disrupting your crankcase pressure. The car should still start & run, but would definitely generate a check-engine light, but... maybe a cause? (doubtful, but still worth checking)

Did you spray wash the engine compartment in your detailing? Maybe something got knocked loose.

Back