• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car wont start

NIghthawk1824

CEG'er
1998.5 svt

I replaced my tranny and went for a test drive and everything was good,
i parked it for about an hour and then went to move my car out of the driveway and the car will not crank, there is a tick that i may hear coming from the engine fuse box but i checked all my fuses and did not see
anything bad. i tried to jump it but still could not even get a tick or try.

any ideas?

RE: car wont start

hey bud im not to sure what it could be but try checking the starter and the wires to it.or maybe the safety switch for the clutch pedal. hope i help!

If its like the manuals i have dealt with, it should be right behind the clutch pedal. I know on my nissan its a black push button that sticks out.

Does the car crank at all?

Might be a lost cause, but have you tried to jump the car?

And if there is no tick or anything, the starter sounds like its bad..my starter went out and it didn't make a sound. I could still push start it however, and so can you. Take the starter out and take it to autozone and get it tested. If the gear looking thing pops out during the test, then its good.

Starters on these cars especially seem to be VERY finicky with bad wiring/loose wires.. I know in 3 different cars I have had issues..My current SVT wont start withouth something grounding from the Starter bracket.

Yeah but I know that a not my problem because if I jump the black and grey wire to the positive terminal it starts up. My issue is the fuse box. I have power going in but doesn't get to the relay.

Had a similar issue with my 98 SVT yesterday. Turned the key and nothing. Couldn't even hear an audible click from a solenoid. Found the problem and thought I would post here in case it helps anybody else.
​The issue I found was the 10-12GA single wire weatherpack connector that is located at the power distribution block on the engine side of the battery box. The connector itself is right by the positive battery terminal. The issue I had is that the pin itself had corroded and broke so the signal wire had no connection. Easy fix and this info might help somebody in the future.

Back