• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new tires feel like they shaking

james9290

New CEG'er
Hey guys, I didnt have problem before replacing tires now seems like they vibrating shaking wobbling from rear sometimes then other times feels sounds like its front they rechecked balance and thats fine just took for a 4 wheel alignment now im lost as what it could be all lug nuts tight 98 ford contour se thanks for any help not sure if I should have posted in tire forum just this one seems more busy with people.

Have them sit in the car with you while you drive or have them drive while you sit in the passenger seat.

Either the wheels are not balanced (maybe their tire balancer is not calibrated) or the tire is "out-of-round". If tire is "out-of-round", they need to replace with good ones.

I've seen tire balancing machines "balance" tires with runout and out of round before. Simple test is to place a tool (like a screwdriver) on the machine and hold it next to the sidewall while turning the tire by hand. Watch for the run out. A bad sidewall ply will throw it off and cause shaking at speed but the machine will say it's OK.

Do you have stock wheels?

If you have different wheels you may have a problem with the wheels not getting properly centered on the hub.

If they are trying to balance the tires without using outside wheel weights it may not really be getting balanced. Being out of balance from the side of the tire toward the center of the car and the side of the tire that is on the outside of the car can cause a side to side shake.

Tires with a belt that slipped during manufacturing may never be able to be properly balanced to prevent a side to side shake.

A bent wheel may seem to balance OK but create a side to side shake.

Well they are stock 15 inch rims but from reply about balancing machine maybe being off thats good point I'll see about taking it somewhere else have them re balanced. I went to a local used tire shop also sold new tires well I got new tires, but I think I'm going take to a name based place tire tread or eww pep boys I guess thanks for your replies

Like Big Jim said, there is different things it could be but that used tire place may very well just not know how to balance tires or their machine isn't calibrated. I can't count how many cars I end up having to rebalance their wheels because the shop (including used tire places, walmart, and even new car dealers) they went to didn't do it right.

Back