• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5L blown with only 60k

shavedsvt

Veteran CEG'er
monday night i lost all oil pressure on the freeway. i caught it at around 10 psi and shut it down. i got it towed to school, dropped the exhaust and the pan to find metal all in the pan. all the rods looked ok from underneath until i started pushing on the caps. the #3 rod bearing was completely gone nothing left. so i spent the rest of the day today tearing down the svt. everything else is fine but the crank is scorn a little bit. and the cap is rough. any ideas of what might of happened. i had 40 psi and then almost none. im guessing the pump went bad?

How many miles on the oil and oil filter? How many quarts were in it when you drained it after the incident?

Did it make any noises previous to this happening? Not the same day but previous days. Mine sounds like crap and I'm wondering if this will happen.

well it would make a noise on start up. like lifter noise. i just thought because i was being a little hard on it, that maybe the lifters were bleeding off after it sat over night. it would only do it after sitting for more that 5 or 6 hours. and it wouldnt do it at all on a warm day. it sucks because im not done with my 3.0L yet. im still waiting on the rods and the pistons. everything else is here but them.

My sister's Mystique 2.5 makes a rattle at startup, it is the chain, goes away in a few seconds or less, been doing it for 12 years. A heavier rap would be bearings, a lifter is more of a tap, which my Mystique does when cold. Hope that 3.0 is a success:cool:

yea me too. the pistons were sent out yesterday, and the turbo was sent out today. hopefully everything goes well.

My original 2.5 went with around 42K miles on it, just after the factory warranty. Was driving to work, took a slow left hand turn, car hesitated for a second and then the knocking began. Turned out to be a crank bearing and the engine was replaced with a remanufactured unit under the extended warranty. Now have 122K miles on the car (80k on the 2nd engine) and still going strong. Not sure if there was a defect in the original engine since I have performed the same maintenance to the remanufactured unit and it is still going strong.

Back