• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'98 GL w/ 2.0 shredded it's belt?

ahanix1989

New CEG'er
Hello again everyone...
Got Rachel's Contour running decent... replaced the broken timing idler pulley, put a new belt on, followed all torque specs...
Drove it maybe 100 miles and no issues, no check engine light.
She comes to pick it up, pays me for the parts and time, and heads back home. I go to my brother's to pick up HIS car to fix, and she calls me -- her car just up and died on the highway.

This time, the timing idler pulley didn't break, the timing belt itself just completely shredded. There was nothing wrong with the old belt, so what could've caused this one to fail? What did I do wrong during the installation?

What a drag

What a drag

Shredded belt, welcome to the club. What we have found is that the most common cause of belt shredding is that the belt tension is too tight, thus causing the belt to walk over the edge the cam pulleys and rub on the 'front' engine cover.

To resolve this issue, use ALL new parts, belt (of course), idlers, and tensioner. Then follow the ford timing belt instructions TO THE LETTER!! This WILL involve using the cam timing tools (about $20 on line) AND loosening the cam pulleys. This will not only get your cam timing correct, but it is critical to getting the belt tension correct.

If after putting on the new cam belt, if it is overhanging the cam pulleys it will shred again.

Best of luck

Would the timing tools be the 2/10" bar and the crank plug?

Crap, not entirely sure how to loosen the cam pulleys, especially with that VCT crap

Would the timing tools be the 2/10" bar and the crank plug?

Crap, not entirely sure how to loosen the cam pulleys, especially with that VCT crap

When i did mine recently i didnt loosen the pulleys. But i did replace both idlers and the tensioner, along with the belt. No problems yet. I've gone 2k miles.

So why is it, even though the idler pulley was the problem, I need to install a new tensioner?

So why is it, even though the idler pulley was the problem, I need to install a new tensioner?

You dont necessarily have to. But its one of those things, why keep the old in there and let that be the weak link in the system. You'll have it all apart, why not replace it so everything is new in there. And it's also a wear item.

Alright. For the sake of budget, we're just gonna try putting the old belt on and doing the camshaft sprocket loosening. Hopefully that'll hold us for the two weeks or so until next paycheck.

Edit: Oh noes, I'm missing pages 4 and 5! What's the proper way to loosen and tighten the camshaft sprockets

This is the ford repair pages for removing and installing the sprockets, NOTE: this is from the 95 contour GL book but I think the motor is the same.

(Attached)

I hope this helps, Either way Good Luck!

Attachments

• Timing Sprockets.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
Mine's gonna be a little different because of the variable timing thing on the exhaust... but I'm guessing the order is

Loosen the sprockets (Do not use alignment tool to hold them)
Install the belt
Re-align camshafts
Tighten sprockets

That right?

I saw that before, but it seems to be missing pictures =/

The sprockets seem to align just fine with the belt

Ok, replaced her belt and oh boy was it shredded!

Got a different belt on, and I had it centered on the pulleys. Cranked the engine a couple times, and it moved to the far edge of the pulleys, but not off them at all. Remained in that position for twenty minutes.

Engine would make a horrible squeeling, ended when I sprayed the A/C clutch with WD40.

Engine occasionally stumbled, but never died.

Didn't let her take the car home, I want your opinions on the belt moving to the pulley edge.

Is there going to be any problem that I should correct with how the belt, on initial startup, moved to the outer edge of the pulley?

Back