• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

smoke

95blufrdr

New CEG'er
Hi all
Had pretty good luck with you guys so far, so here we go again. While driving my 95 Contour with the z-teck engine, it started to smoke real bad. If i let up on the gas, it would let up some, give it gas, smokes bad. It is a white or light grey smoke, and a friend said it DIDN'T smell like antifreeze. I would have guessed a blown head gasket, but i don't know for sure. HELP anyone.
Thanks

Hi all
Had pretty good luck with you guys so far, so here we go again. While driving my 95 Contour with the z-teck engine, it started to smoke real bad. If i let up on the gas, it would let up some, give it gas, smokes bad. It is a white or light grey smoke, and a friend said it DIDN'T smell like antifreeze. I would have guessed a blown head gasket, but i don't know for sure. HELP anyone.
Thanks
Try the El cheapo headgasket leak test.

1) Fill coolant to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off).

2) Remove all spark plug wires.

3) Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine.

4) If the coolant bubbles over, there is a leak from that portion of the engine
(or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next.... (removing spark plug from previous cylinder and install spark plug for this cylinder....)

5) Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder.

That's an interesting technique there...I always start with the super easy steps though.

Check both the oil and the radiator fluid to see if they are their normal color and check their levels as well. If they are mixing, then you definitely have a leaking head gasket. If the coolant is low and you don't have any other leaks, then I would again say you have a bad head gasket. If everything else checks out and your oil level is just a little low, then I would say you have some leaky valves. If that's the case, try some marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. That stuff can do wonders for leaky valves...At least for a while anyway.

Good Luck.

You don't just have "normal" steam when the weather is cold/damp? That reduces with engine warmup. If it doesn't smell antifreeze (sweet) or oil (sharp smell) could be normal..

sounds like a oil leak ta me you should git some sea foam n pour dat **** into yo ashtray

Last edited:
Back