• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1995 4CYL MTX won't start

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
My bro and I just picked up a 1995 4cyl MTX Contour GL for $150. The car has been sitting for 3 years in a garage and has 90k on it. We have power to the starter and it makes one "click" noise when you turn the key over. No multiple clicks or "ru ru ru ru" from the engine. We tried to push start it and the motor never made a "cycle" and the clutch was just slipping and getting smelly. I think the pistons are siezed and was wondering what we can try to get them to loosen up and possibly free up the flywheel enough to let the starter start the car. Any info is appreciated!
If it won't start, we will part it for sure. Thanks - JOE

I'd do some testing to make sure.

either remove the starter and engage it.. does it spin when not connected to anything?

while its off, look at the flywheel.. is it all rusted up?

jack up the front wheels.. are they locked up? can you spin either? does being in neutral make any difference?

Can you turn the crank by hand (with a breaker bar) from the passenger side?

I'd do some testing to make sure.

either remove the starter and engage it.. does it spin when not connected to anything?

while its off, look at the flywheel.. is it all rusted up?

jack up the front wheels.. are they locked up? can you spin either? does being in neutral make any difference?

Can you turn the crank by hand (with a breaker bar) from the passenger side?

1. Starter works when removed from trans case
2. Flywheel doesn't look overly rusted
3. When in neutral, wheels turn
4. When in gear, no front wheels turn
5. Havn't tried breaker bar yet

Would putting a penetrating lube or a little squirt of oil in the cylinders, from the spark plug holes, help loosen the rings if they are stuck? Any help will help. Thanks

3. When in neutral, wheels turn
4. When in gear, no front wheels turn
5. Havn't tried breaker bar yet

Would putting a penetrating lube or a little squirt of oil in the cylinders, from the spark plug holes, help loosen the rings if they are stuck? Any help will help. Thanks
You can try putting a lot of oil in the cylinders if it is not "frozen". It sounds like a "dropped valve" or the rings are "mashed" against the piston(s).

Last edited:
put it in fifth gear jack up one front wheel (other one on the ground). try to turn it by hand or wheel wrench, while add some w40 on the piston head. remove all spark plugs too, it helps a lot.

Still no start, we'll be parting it out. This was an early '95 too with the yellow numbers in the trip odometer :eek: and cable speedo :blackeye: - Too bad too, but oh well.

hey i had the same problem with my brothers csvt ,pretty much all those things you sound thats happening to yours and it was a starter,and another guy had the same problem that i wouldnt start but it was his spark plug wires. well what im saying just check this things before you sell the thing and throw another contour in the junk yard:laugh:and as for those yellow numbers do you got a pic??id like to see that

Marvel Mystrey oil

Marvel Mystrey oil

Since you have used a breaker bar to determine that it is locked up, does it rotate in either direction? If not suspect either a seized engine from a melt down, or other catastrophic failure, or as simple as rings rusted to the cylinders.

Back in the day, lots of guys would store thier motorcycles over the winter in cold wet garages. Come spring time no way to rotate the engine. About 90% of the time pouring marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it sit for a week would free the rings up so that the bike spun its motor (with the plugs out and rags over the plug holes) and about 80% of the time the bikes ran just fine.

Always amazed me.

Best of luck

You know - it could have been a catastrophic failure, I don't know and can only go off of what the previous owner told me.... Too bad, she will be parted :cry:

RIP
forsale054.jpg

They never really established that they actually turned motor with breaker bar. If motor really locked good, putting in 5th gear with a good clutch and rotating can very easily tear up the trans, resulting in twice the damage. Crawl under it and turn the dang crank. Possible waste of car, I've often wondered how many more end up crushed for a lack of good investigation and misdiagnosis. I knew someone who sold car to junkyard for a bad master cylinder, no one could fix it right apparently. Car, a Honda, had 75K on it, looked NICE. Wished I'd known before he gave it away, I'da bought it for that amount ($75).

didn't try the breaker bar.........

If it won't run by pushing it with another car, there is definetly motor work that has to be done because the rings will be shot even if I finally got it started. Not worth the effort, but parts of the car will be saved.

Thanks for the concern but not misdiagnosed.

Back