No announcement yet.

Water in trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again, I'll check things out in a few weeks. I was at the junkyard this weekend and the 1 of 2 Contours there had both gaskets for both vents all smashed up in some corners from not being in place... so I'm not going to be surprised if my gaskets have suffered from the same. The other Contour there had sealant all over the outer perimeter of the vents, sealed from the inside. So seems like it's pretty common for these things to leak. I'll seal them up one way or another, just finding and sealing the rest of the leaks is my bigger concern. I'll let you guys know what I come up with once I can work on this. Thanks for the help!
    1998 Ford Contour SVT (E0) - Toreador Red - 3L Swap
    2005 Pontiac GTO - Torrid Red - Twin Turbo

Comment

Yeah, they do tend to leak but always an easy fix once you find it. I fixed one of my SVTs with silicone caulk before I knew about the tabs. I kept removing it, adjusting and reinstalling but every time I did a hose test, it leaked. I pulled it one last time and added caulk. No leaks.

It wasn't until I worked on my other SVT that I realized it just had too much play between the gasket and the body. I bent the tabs from inside the trunk, installed the vent. No leak.
      1998 SVT Contour 3L (B/MNB) #542 (His)
      2000 SVT Contour (SF/MNB) #1533 (Hers)
      2003 BMW 540i M-Sport (6 spd)
      2002 Cougar XR - XR Racing Red
      2002 Lexus IS300 SOLD!!

Comment

I'll definitely give all that I try if my gaskets aren't all smashed up... that would be nice if that's all I have to do. Thanks again man!!!
        1998 Ford Contour SVT (E0) - Toreador Red - 3L Swap
        2005 Pontiac GTO - Torrid Red - Twin Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by CSVT1214 View Post
          FYI, the gaskets are discontinued from Ford and there aren't any available anywhere . Bill Jenkins was not able to track any down for me. I tried many used gaskets in perfect shape, but nothing would seal tight enough. They become crushed over time and become to thin.

I ended up buying some 1 1/4" wide, 7/16" thick, 10' long roll (long enough to do 2-3 Contiques) of rubber foam weatherseal from Home Depot. I unrolled it around the back of the taillight, cut to the correct length and stuck it down. Line it up on the car, push hard against the tail and tighten it down. They have not let 1 drop of water in the car since.
          This^^^worked for me, still dry.

Comment

Working...
          X