• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift knob damage reverse, Broken Reverse Lockout

intravino

CEG'er
Hello Guys,

I brought my Mystique to a garage and the mechanic broke the reverse knob on 96 MTX Stick.

I don't know where to star. The guy is claiming that is was already broken.

I did attach some pictures.

Please help.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200930_200928.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	1825523 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200930_200941.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	1825525 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200930_202057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	1825526

Attachments

• 20200930_200928.jpg
    20200930_200928.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200930_200941.jpg
    20200930_200941.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
1. I HATE letting others touch my car.
2. Easy fix if you can find the parts
3. Not needed anyway.

I've always considered the reverse lock-out to be a very effective anti-theft device, especially for manual transmission ignorant 'Muricans, European drivers are quite familiar with them.

I suspect the mechanic didn't know how to operate it, ham-fisted it, and broke it.

1. I HATE letting others touch my car.

QFT...

Been there, done that. The only solution I could come up with, was finding one in a junk yard. It is a very easy fix. Mine broke simply because the plastic got brittle. Not likely a result of the mechanic doing anything untoward. You can use it without the ring, but it is also what holds up the boot. If you head to a junkyard, be sure you have the right tool. There is a small spread pin that passes thru the stick sift shaft and the plastic ring -- you simply push the pin thru. Good luck!

I came here to write a post about a no-start but I think I can help. I have a stock shifter with boot for a 1998 MTX out of a SVT. If it will fit your application I will send it your direction if you pay shipping from Sacramento, CA.

I got one machined by one of my friend, It is hard to install; I mean I don't want to the spring/cable that hold the interlock to fall inside the shifting tower.

I got one machined by one of my friend, It is hard to install; I mean I don't want to the spring/cable that hold the interlock to fall inside the shifting tower.
Hi. This just happened with my '95 Contour SE (MTX). The plastic reverse lockout ring simply crumbled, as it appears from your pics that yours might have, too. Mine was clearly due to age, and one second seemed fine, the next it wasn't. That said, I'm also uncomfortable letting anyone drive my car who isn't familiar with the reverse lockout due to concern they'll try to force things. I can still get the mechanism to work by rotating the ring into place, if absolutely necessary, but have already ordered a shift assembly (from the knob all the way down through the rod shift linkage where it feeds into the transmission, just to also have these extra parts) from a JY.

Despite having the parts on order, I'd be interested in learning about the machining your friend did and/or if he might have made more than one. We're considering this route, too.

You probably know this by know, but for anyone else reading there's some good info about the mechanism in the forums by MTX transmission guru Terry Haines (may he RIP). From reading the threads my understanding is the reverse lockout with the cable threading down through the hollow shift shaft (viewable by unscrewing the shift knob) is unique to the MTX rod shift '95-97.

I also have a 1996 Mystique (an LS; MTX w. 2.5L), by the way. She's at about 67K miles or so, now.

Same here actually. My 95 SE MTX just had the plastic reverse lockout split apart. Edges are sharp as razor blades too. Hopefully I'll get something to replace it some day.....

Let me take a some pictures of his part. I did not have time to install it. I purchase a 1998 f250 and I spent the whole summer fixing it and cleaning the frame.

BTW, my Mystique is in the shop. I lost my braking ability. The third time it happened in 10 years. I will know more on Tuesday. The part is in the glove box of the Mystique.

Back