• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ignition cylinder, seems broken.

Kresnik

CEG'er
I would like to remove the ignition cylinder and either rebuild it or replace it. My original key was really worn down, and it snapped in half, and it appears that some metal fragments are stuck in there, causing it to bind. I have a 2000 SVT, and I cannot find the pin that people talk about drilling out in order to release it. Can someone prove better insight as how to remove it?

Thanks,

No Title

Attachments

• photo18405.jpg
    photo18405.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo18406.jpg
    photo18406.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
No Title

Your plight has inspired me to complete a project which has been sitting on my floor for a month now. I pulled the ADJUSTABLE steering column off a 1999 Contour, and I'm going to transplant it and its nice leather steering wheel to my '96 Mystique. There's a small hole on the top of the cylinder housing where you can see a half-circle, which is the retaining pin. I used a hex-head bit to firmly push the button while the key is in the ACC position (aligned with this pin) and pull out the assembly. The cylinder seems to be compatible, but the cars didn't have a PATS system; attached is the relevant instruction page if you have it. BTW, the manual page is for a 1999, so your results may vary.

Attachments

• photo18408.jpg
    photo18408.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo18409.JPG
    photo18409.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back