• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New motor, started, ran great, then no start.....

allstyle12

CEG'er
Replaced the motor, drove perfect this morning!

Then, I went to change the rear O2 sensor 1, bank one, and the braided ground strap touched one of the ends of the mega fuse, and sparked a bit. Checked the mega fuse and it's fine. 12v at both ends

Put everything back together and now it won't start. Cranks over easy and strong, but nothing.

-I have fuel pressure, fuel comes out the shrader valve
-I have power at the coil, 12v
-I have new cam shaft and crank sensors
-I check every relay, and fuse. All appear to be good

I don't seem to be getting spark. I have fuel at the rails. Took the plugs out and they are dry....shouldn't they be wet?

Did I fry the PCM? I have an extra one, but when I hook it up and try to start it, it won't even turn over.

I was so happy to get her running today, and now this. So bummed....

Some additional info...

-Check engine light goes off when cranking
-I see RPMS in the scan tool when cranking

This tells me Cranking sensor is okay....maybe.

I've read that if the ECT isn't reading, that would cause a no spark start condition. I see 64F on that sensor. I have spares so I can try that.

For the other PCM, I presume all I need to do is go to the dealer and have them program my keys....yes?

Damn, bro. You've been on here long! Haha.

I have no Pats light....weird.

It's a 98.5 with the SFGO PCM. I have a spare RJL1, but that doesn't crank at all. I was going to have the locksmith reprogram the keys, but I just found out this PCM is not compatible because I have no stand alone PATS.

Recheck your harness connections. Main PCM and driver side square.

In addition the big 3 connections on the rear valve cover that connect the injector harness (give them a firm squeezing)

If those check out good, double check your grounds.

Fuse 9 in the engine bay. 20amp large fuse with window.

Bingo! That fuse was blown. I figured that out last night! I wish I would have read this post yesterday morning. could have saved me a couple hours.

I hooked up some alligator clips to a fuse and it kept blowing every time I turned on the key.

So I took the battery out, checked a bunch of wires in the harness, took out the harness square, looking for shorts with a multimeter, unplugged harnesses one by one and fuses kept blowing (I have a billion extra fuses).

Lastly, I unplugged the harness to the frayed VSS sensor, put everything back together, now the fuse no longer blows.

I haven't tried starting it just yet, because I put a spare PCM in so I don't fry my original one.

VSS frayed wired maybe were touching, causing the fuses to be blown. I can plug it back in to be sure, as I have fuses to spare.

Pretty easy to change the VSS from underneath?

Back