• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yet Another No Start

I would cut sheet metal and do it from the top.

If you're interested, i have a slightly used (3 months) updated motorcraft pump assembly i can let go of.

Come in through the top. It's not too bad at all, just take the rear seats out and you're there! I took some shears and carefully snipped and pulled back the metal, and then put it back over when I was done. COming in from up top makes it so much easier. Have a bucket handy to put the old pump in and some rags for the drips that spill. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy an aftermarket pump, get the Motorcraft one. I am on my second NAPA in less than a year

I use anything other than Motorcraft pumps and zero issues. The most common reason for failing pumps early is not enough fuel in the tank to prime them instantly, I used to warranty them all day long. People put a gallon of gas in car and expect it to start and run..........NO. The pumps will commonly stand maybe one minute max of dry running before the plastic impeller begins to deform and melt and pump junk then. Why the owner manuals now all say to never run tank dry of fuel, it tears up the pumps way early.

On my non-module type Contour I use 5 gallons in tank at least and instant starting after having primed the pump up before the try to start. That old design pump sits way up in the air and has to prime really good to work.

I had momentary Jesus moment. I took the air box off just in case it wasn't getting air, and it started first time ! Even after putting the airbox back on, it started just fine. I could hear the pump prime, and I ran it for 10 minutes in the garage and I even gunned it to see if the pump stumbled.....no problems. 2 hours ago, I took it around the neighborhood, and it died again right at the top of the hill. No start-O. I was able to roll it down hill in front of my house. Just when I thought everything was peachy ! Good thing I didn't take it out of the neighborhood. So, Im siphoning the gas out now. Just going to have to nut up and take the pump out. More than likely Im going through the top.

Mad Dog

At the risk of sounding dumb again, I forgot to check the fuel pump relay. The relays looks to be all the same, so should I swap one relay for another (lets say, the AC....) and see if that works ?

Mad Dog

The 5 relays in the rearward end of the power distribution box are all the same; horn, fuel pump, hi-beam, low-beam and EEC power are all interchangeable.

Why aren't you using your brain at post #24 to again check if the pump is not running again after it quit again????

Not thinking there at all. Maybe doing the rest for nothing. As soon as car quit you should be checking if pump is spinning up, it would direct your next move.

When it died at the top of the hill, I tore out the rear cushion again. I could not hear the pump prime, so back to the original problem. I will check the signal to pin 3 again and swap relays but the pump only had a last gasp of life, I guess.

Im waffling. I admit it.

Mad Dog

OK, it has to be the fuel pump. I swapped 2 relays and after sitting 2 weeks, it stated up for a moment then died. I cant hear the sound of the pump priming. Other than spending an arm and a leg for an NOS Motorcraft part, are there any reputable good quality replacement pump kits that have all the o-rings and misc parts ?

Mad Dog

You'll likely need to drain the tank too as separated fuel is garbage once it has happened. If the pump has any rust on parts your indicator of separation.

Is there a device that allows you to introduce fuel through the fuel pressure schrader valve ? I would like to move the car a bit for when I am ready to get the pump in.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Won't work, you can have all the fuel you want in there but unless it is pretty close to the pressure needed the engine will NOT run well enough to keep running.

MadDog, How did the fuel pump change go? Did it fix your problem? Any issues? I'm tackling mine soon at 177,000 miles as a preventative measure.

The neighbors gave me enough stink-eye about the car sitting so long at the curb, I decided to take it to a shop and get the fuel pump done professionally. So, now the car starts and runs fine. I am told the fuel relay was bad, as well as the fuel pump. The only problem now (I got it back a few days ago) is this odd, clunking sound coming from the back. I cant figure it out and I dont see anything obviously bad. Almost like someone left a screwdriver in the fuel tank or something.... : )

Mad Dog

The awful clunking was the swaybar now being tightened down enough. All working now, although my wife has filled up the side of the garage where the car parked with stuff. Now, onward to fix more stuff !

Mad Dog

Back