• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 zetec died?!?!?!

rlbuhl

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My engine shut off on me today, and it won't start. It turns over VERY easily.The best way I can describe, it's like pulling the spark plugs out, and turning it over. This one has me stumped. Could it be timing? The belt is not broken, and the 2 cams are spinning. When trying to start, it sounds almost like a backfire thru the throttle body, but I am not sure, as I was alone.( no one to turn it over while I looked and listened) Any suggestions???Thanks!!!!

How do you know both cams are turning? How many miles are on it? Has the timing belt and tensioners been replaced?

Ican see both cams under the top cover, marked them, and they are turning. 81455 miles, and no they have not ever been changed. I was looking through previous posts, and saw the one titled "won't start", and it made me wonder even more about the cause. The fuel pump sounds like it is working. Had fuel prob's once before, and cannot find the shrader valve to check pressure. Pulled the plenum off, and there is no valve on the injector rail.Iposted a while ago about the car running poorly under half a tank of gas, but never could figure the problem out. Always keep it over half full!!!

Ican see both cams under the top cover, marked them, and they are turning. 81455 miles, and no they have not ever been changed. I was looking through previous posts, and saw the one titled "won't start", and it made me wonder even more about the cause. The fuel pump sounds like it is working. Had fuel prob's once before, and cannot find the shrader valve to check pressure. Pulled the plenum off, and there is no valve on the injector rail.Iposted a while ago about the car running poorly under half a tank of gas, but never could figure the problem out. Always keep it over half full!!!
Ever changed the fuel filter?

It is possible the belt slipped time. My Dodge Lancer (2.2 OHC) did that backfire and easy crank effect.

Fuel Pressure

Fuel Pressure

Since you have had fuel problems in the past, it probably has something to do with that. Look harder for the shrader valve, on my 95 zetec engine I have laying in my garage, it is right at the connection between the fuel rail and the fuel lines running from the tank.

If you haven't changed the fuel filter, do that also.

Fuel filter has been changed. Timing belt did not slip. Fuel pressure (checked at inlet to fuel rail) is good. Any other suggestions???? I am about to trade this junker in!!!! Please help?!?!?!?!?!

A timing belt can slip a tooth or two there is no way to tell without checking the timing of the cams and crank. Also, are there any codes?

Back