Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car wont start

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Car wont start

    I have a 98 SE 2.5L Auto. Its been stored since April.Tried to start and wouldnt start, barely turned over, had the battery removed and charged and still wont start. Thought it might be the fuel pump thats stuck, what do you guys think is the problem. Thanks !!

  • #2
    If the battery is completely dead, it won't charge. Test it to see if the cells are gone. Sometimes, if one or two (out of six) cells are gone, it won't charge.

    At a minimum, test the voltage of the battery.

    Headlights on for one minute, then test voltage across battery terminals. Should be around 12 to 12.6.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tony2005 View Post
      If the battery is completely dead, it won't charge. Test it to see if the cells are gone. Sometimes, if one or two (out of six) cells are gone, it won't charge.

      At a minimum, test the voltage of the battery.

      Headlights on for one minute, then test voltage across battery terminals. Should be around 12 to 12.6.
      I had the battery charged and tested , it was good. In fact I switched it with my Mustang and it started the Mustang but the Mustang battery wouldnt start the Contour, so its a fuel/plug issue or other. So it cant be the battery, I am thinking its flooded, I saw a post where a guy pulled a plug and it was wet, he then started the car with 5 plugs, then after shutting it down, he put the other plug and it fired up. I will try this on the weekend. Any comments.

      Comment


      • #4
        If the car flooded a lot, the compression gets reduced, might not fire up. Did the starter act normally? Also, how low is the gas? You should check fuel pressure.
        1998 Mystique LS 2.5 Duratec ATX
        1985 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo 2.2
        1991 Taurus SHO, 45kmiles

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque View Post
          If the car flooded a lot, the compression gets reduced, ...
          ...and the engine spins easily and fast. Your original post mentions that the engine barely turns over. I doubt it is a flooded engine. As suggested, you might want to check the starter or the cables from battery to starter and battery to ground or alternator.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tony2005 View Post
            ...and the engine spins easily and fast. Your original post mentions that the engine barely turns over. I doubt it is a flooded engine. As suggested, you might want to check the starter or the cables from battery to starter and battery to ground or alternator.
            Its turning over, its just not firing, its a normal turnover. The tank is full. I have full cluster lights, headlights etc. Will check the battery connections on the weekend when I will have time to look at it, will let you know how it goes. Thanks !!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque View Post
              If the car flooded a lot, the compression gets reduced, might not fire up. Did the starter act normally? Also, how low is the gas? You should check fuel pressure.
              Should I be able to smell gas if its flooded?Tank is full. Waht about the gas shut-off, the button is down, which the manual says its should be.

              Comment


              • #8
                I doubt it is flooded, you need to check the fuel pressure. If you really think you flooded it, disable the fuel pump and disconnect the coil pack and engage the starter to turn the car over while keeping your foot on the gas pedel so it opens the throttle body. This will help evaporate any gas that may be in there.

                Then reconnect everything and try to start it. But, I would try to check fuel pressure first, then check for spark.
                95 contique 2.0L converted to a 2.5L MTX
                150k miles a quarter mile at a time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alex532 View Post
                  I doubt it is flooded, you need to check the fuel pressure. If you really think you flooded it, disable the fuel pump and disconnect the coil pack and engage the starter to turn the car over while keeping your foot on the gas pedel so it opens the throttle body. This will help evaporate any gas that may be in there.

                  Then reconnect everything and try to start it. But, I would try to check fuel pressure first, then check for spark.
                  Thank you for that, I was thinking of pulling one or two plugs to see if they are wet, if wet I read that you might be able to start it on 5 cyl, not quite sure how to check the fuel pressue. If wet also will take TB apart to let evaporate the fuel in there. Will post here my results on the weekend. Thanks !!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fuel Pressure

                    Get a cheap fuel pressure tester from an autoparts store, then hook it up to the fuel line where the bicycle tire style valve is, it should be pretty close to where the lines go into the fuel rail.

                    If you are going to take the spark plugs out, you could just take them all out and let it sit, any fuel in the cylinders should easily evaporate.
                    95 contique 2.0L converted to a 2.5L MTX
                    150k miles a quarter mile at a time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alex532 View Post
                      Get a cheap fuel pressure tester from an autoparts store, then hook it up to the fuel line where the bicycle tire style valve is, it should be pretty close to where the lines go into the fuel rail.

                      If you are going to take the spark plugs out, you could just take them all out and let it sit, any fuel in the cylinders should easily evaporate.
                      I am going over to have a look at the car today, by the way what size socket is it for the plugs, I know I need a deep socket , I have one, just want to know so i dont need to make another trip. Thanks !!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X