• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Belt Noise

intravino

CEG'er
Hey Guys,

I've noticed since about 3 months some noise coming from the sepertine belt and it is high pitch. Worst at night when the lights are on. I have a new Alternator since August 2005 and new belt.

The head lights flashes a bit sometimes also.

Could it be the Drive Belt Idler or the Drive Belt Tensioner or both?

Here in Canada the Tensioner is $ 143.00 CAD Outch,, only $ 81.00 USD at a Ford Dealer in Plattsburgh and the Idler is $ 44.00 CAD not bad.

Should I try the Idler First?

Thanks for your time,

Intravino

It sounds like your alternator is going bad, get it checked at an autoparts store. The failure of a young alternator could be caused by a bad tensioner though. If the belt isn't tight enough and begins to slip it can cause premature failure of an alternator.

Listen to the noise though, if it is a high pitch whining noise, then it is definitely the alternator, but if it a squeaky noise from the belt itself, then it may just be a bad belt or tensioner. But it gets complicated, because a squeaky noise could also be the result of a bad alternator putting too much stress on the belt and the belt subsequently slipping.

Get the alternator checked and check the belt for wear on the edges, wear on the belt would suggest a bad tensioner.

Last edited:
Changed Belt?

Changed Belt?

I just changed the serpentine belt on my 2000 2.5L DOHC today. I'm hearing a similar noise. It's not a slipping belt, it sounds more like it's pulley related. It's changes pitch and is only noticible at about 2500rpm and higher. I've heard other cars make this sound and nothing has been wrong. I just put on a better belt that is supposed to be quieter, so I'm wondering if it isn't a sound that was there all along.

My lights had been dimming some too when I decelerated or idled, but they didn't appeard to be tonight after changing the belt.

Just my thoughts...

Idler Pulley

Idler Pulley

I found the problem. Bad Idler Puley Bearings.

Went to Canadian tire for a idler pulley from dayco $ 25.00 CAD instead of the $ 45.00 CAD from the Ford Dealer.

No more noise, ( was tried of getting looks because of the noise ), No more Blinking headlights also.

What a ***** to replace. I had to take out that U shape support for the engine.

Thanks for your help again.

Intravino

Back