• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starter Problems or ???

00 SVEET

CEG'er
Up until today, no problems with the car. I stop at the store, and when I try to start the car, it appears the starter stays engaged (loud clicking noise). I shut off the car, pull the key out and the noise is still there!!! WTH? I undo the battery terminal, and it stops. Hook up the cable, no key in ignition, and the noise reappears. Disconnect again, wait 5 minutes, reconnect and no noise. Start the car, starter remains engaged. Turn off, no noise. Start back up immediately, and no noise. Drive home and everything is OK. Now, is it the starter, ignition switch or ??? I'm not taking it anywhere until I find the source of the problem. Anyone ever have this happen to them? 77,000 miles on the car.

Starter selonoid is bad, the selonoid is mounted on the starter. You should probably replace both the starter and the selonoid together, actually they may not even sell the selonoid separately.

What engine and year do you have? I may have a used one if you are interested PM me.

Back