• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'98 CSVT value?

vaboom123

CEG'er
Hey guys,

Just went and looked at a 1998 tour today to maybe pick up for a daily/work beater. Just wondering what others thoughts would be on a decent price to offer the guy. The seller was up front and a good guy, but I just didn't want to sound like a dick and offer him a low price. It has 150k on it with out any maintenance paper work

Here's some details,

Exterior:

-Silver with all svt specific body parts on it (full set of jack covers)
-Not super rusty (only has small surface rust on door bottoms)
-Needs healights
-Front bumper needs paint / faded out
-He rattle canned some primer on the roof over some chips

Interior:
-Pretty clean / just needs a good clean up
-Floor mats worn
-rip on driver's bolster seam

It needs a bunch of maintenance in my eyes with tires and suspension work. The engine bay was super dirty and corrosion all over the battery terminals. If figure it could be a possibility for around 1k-1500. The diff and all the common issues worry me that it could turn into a money pit. If I could get it for cheap it wouldn't be all that bad.

Just let me know what you think,

Zach

15-1700. personally if i was a seller i'd part it if i was offered 1k, theres still enough of a market to make more than 1k by parting it out and getting paid to turn the rest in for scrap.

I think trolls estimate sounds about right. If is was in good condition with everything working, no rust, good paint. I'd say closer to $3000.

Check if it is a early 1998 EO and look around all the engine wire harness,and see if there is cracking, if i would have known the early EO 98s had wire issues i wouldnt have bought mine,i got raped when i got my csvt but my fault for not researching,I was SO mad i was going to roll it off a cliff when i found out all the problems mine had,and finding out i needed a new wire harness after changing part after part trying to figure out what was wrong,but got a new harness from svttour and it runs good now,but due to the cracking around the harness above the radiator area i lost a/c and fans so im doing a subharness for my fans and removing all a/c because its usless lol......and also drive it at night and see if the gauge cluster lights pulsate and headlights pulsate....if it has any issues like these i wouldn't pay more than 1k for it its a nightmare lol

Thanks for the ideas guys. It doesn't seem like he wants to part the car out or anything like that. He just told me he needs it sold soon and wants a pick up for work. I just gave it a quick once over. It needs struts/mounts, front end work, and a bunch of other stuff. The primer on the roof kinda bummed me out. There's also a cracked tail light and a big scuff on the rear bumper cover.

15-1700. personally if i was a seller i'd part it if i was offered 1k, theres still enough of a market to make more than 1k by parting it out and getting paid to turn the rest in for scrap.

You can actually make over $2k parting one of these out. Especially if it's complete and not missing parts. But I would def check the harness out like ilovesvt said. That could be a nightmare waiting to happen. I have been there and done that.

Amazing, "a little rust on the bottom of the doors" doesn't scare the hell out of the rust belt guys, but here in the desert ANY rust would relegate the car to the rust heap.

I remember my days in minnescrotum. If the floor wasn't completely rusted through it was considered good enough for transportation, especially with a few old license plates pop riveted in and some old carpet to cover it up.

It is a 14 year old car, rusty, and needs alot of work is not a good candidate for transportation and an even worse candidate as a car to fix up.

Run away, run away no matter how much wood you have for a cvst.

the funny thing about rusty doors...they come right off in a matter of minutes...guess what happens after that??? no more rust!

Amazing, "a little rust on the bottom of the doors" doesn't scare the hell out of the rust belt guys, but here in the desert ANY rust would relegate the car to the rust heap.

I remember my days in minnescrotum. If the floor wasn't completely rusted through it was considered good enough for transportation, especially with a few old license plates pop riveted in and some old carpet to cover it up.

It is a 14 year old car, rusty, and needs alot of work is not a good candidate for transportation and an even worse candidate as a car to fix up.

Run away, run away no matter how much wood you have for a cvst.

Correct term is minnesnowta and we arent scared off by a little rust because we arent afraid of a little work to make our tetnous shots worth it lol

$1000 tops

Thanks again for all the info guys. I'm kinda torn on the car. I was just looking for something to replace the '96 probe with almost 200k on it. It's a good runner, but it would be nice to sell it before something big lets go. I also talked to Josh from PRT and said he would sell his silver frost daily driver.

i sold my 93 probe gt last summer with 229k miles on the original tranny/clutch/motor. the next owner turbo'd it and its still going...af clutch now. its all about maintining the car.
glw your search.

If the CSVT needs tires, struts and front end work, you can easily spend $1000 - $1500 just to get it into safe driving condition. I wouldn't pay much more than $1000 for it. Even then, I would give it a thorough inspection and drive test. If the tranny grinds or the clutch slips I would pass on it.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct term is minnesnowta and we arent scared off by a little rust because we arent afraid of a little work to make our tetnous shots worth it $1000 tops

Wrong, it is Minnescrotum. Ever jump nekked into a snow bank, go swimming in May? If you are a guy and come with standard equipment you'd know why it's called minnescrotum

While you may have to travel, there are still are rust free, good running SVT's out there.

That is very true. At least my 3l tour is rust free, but needs a paint job haha.

i sold my 93 probe gt last summer with 229k miles on the original tranny/clutch/motor. the next owner turbo'd it and its still going...af clutch now. its all about maintining the car.
glw your search.

Thank you. I've got to say the anal probe has be dead nuts reliable with normal maintenance. She's just starting to get pretty rusty and the hatch is all rusted out where it meets the taillights. Works good for my work beater.

If the CSVT needs tires, struts and front end work, you can easily spend $1000 - $1500 just to get it into safe driving condition. I wouldn't pay much more than $1000 for it. Even then, I would give it a thorough inspection and drive test. If the tranny grinds or the clutch slips I would pass on it.

I was kinda telling the seller that. It's just such a gamble with the trans at that mileage and the l last thing I want to do is be pulling the trans right away. I wrench 60-70 hrs. a week and don't need a huge project daily driver. There's no paper work or anything for maintenance.

Wrong, it is Minnescrotum. Ever jump nekked into a snow bank, go swimming in May? If you are a guy and come with standard equipment you'd know why it's called minnescrotum

Haha, you could'e went swimming the other week around these parts. 80 in march is crazy.

Back