• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$700 dollars gone

Coutes

CEG'er
so my mom backs my car out of the garage and what does she do? scrapes the side of my front bumper!!!!! Its about a foot long worth of scrapes running all the way down. I went to an autobody down the street that has a good rep and showed them the damage. I also told them i wanted to get the underneath of the bumper fixed which was cracked when i bought it (About a 1 inch crack). He went to his computer and came up with an estimate.....$700 Do you guys think that is a fair price. I was thinking around 4, $500 at most ..but what do i know?

That seems pretty steep to me. I got an estimate of about $700 to completely repair and repaint a mangled and beat to hell SVT bumper. Has dents and holes in the plastic, and where there is still paint it is spidered and cracked. Take it to a couple of different places and compare the estimates. Maybe you can get a lower one and use it to price bargain at the shop you really want to use.

Check with a few more places and compare warrenties, quality, etc.

I wouldn't go with the lowest one unless you believe they will do a good job.

I think i'm going to get get some other estimates. Hopefully they are pretty low so i can go back to this place and try to negotiate. I've seen there work on my uncles volvo..Came out real nice so i know what to expect. Damn this sucks though...there goes $700 saved towards the turbo.

I lent my Focus to my ex for one day and she high-centered it on a speedbump, the exact same speedbump I pointed at when I told her to never drive over speedbumps.

I think the moral here is never let women drive anything worth looking at. They should stick to Sunfires and Cavaliers.

I lent my Focus to my ex for one day and she high-centered it on a speedbump, the exact same speedbump I pointed at when I told her to never drive over speedbumps.

I think the moral here is never let women drive anything worth looking at. They should stick to Sunfires and Cavaliers.

:) True that...Never again will i let my mom use my car..God forbid my g/f. Probably total the car before reaching the end of the driveway.

I think i'm going to get get some other estimates. Hopefully they are pretty low so i can go back to this place and try to negotiate. I've seen there work on my uncles volvo..Came out real nice so i know what to expect. Damn this sucks though...there goes $700 saved towards the turbo.

Sorry to hear that, but why the hell are YOU paying for it? Mom or not, I'd be asking her to foot the bill. Well, unless she bought the car for you, and you feel obligated to put something towards the car yourself? If that's the case, good job on stepping up to the plate. You're on the right track though, with getting a few more estimates first.

Mark

Well She bought me my first car and pretty much does everything for me!! I just received the contour with 75,000 miles on it as a gift from my uncle for graduation from highschool. I don't mind paying, i just don't want to spend more than its worth either. Plus shes paying for me to go on a cruise next winter :) It just sucks being in college and not making that much money. $700 is a pretty hard hit on me...

Just leave it until you have more disposable income. Not sure what winters are like where you're from but doing repairs mid winter is a bad idea in bad climate areas. There is always a chance that fresh bumper will be wrecked by spring if you replace it. For now I'd just leave it and get it fixed in the spring or summer.

Just leave it until you have more disposable income. Not sure what winters are like where you're from but doing repairs mid winter is a bad idea in bad climate areas. There is always a chance that fresh bumper will be wrecked by spring if you replace it. For now I'd just leave it and get it fixed in the spring or summer.
If it's a scrape though, won't it start to rust especially during the salty winter season? That happened to a scrape on my Probe GT and a dent on my mom's car, both got a ton of surface rust very quickly into the winter season.

bumpers are made of that super cool plastic stuff on these cars, nothing will be harmed by waiting. that's what i'd suggest to a college guy too :)

the bumper wont rust.

$700 is steeeeep :blackeye:
Its always good to have good friends in body shops who hookd you up :D
for me it will be $200 to get my front bumper/mirko repainted :)

I found some guy to do it a lot cheaper...$300..but quality???hmmm a few people told me they do a good job.

get some fiberglass for the crack, some filler for the scratches if they are deep enough to need to be filled, go to a paint store have them mix a rattlecan of paint the same color as your car, get a couple sheets of sandpaper and have at it... shouldn't cost you more than 50 bucks total. A cheap fix plus it will look half way decent until you do take it in to get it professionally repaired... I agree with Reebs, get the turbo done first :)

It doesn't have to look pretty to go fast. Wait out on the body work till after you're haulin' ass.

+1, not to mention you might have to hack up some of the front bumper to get the FMIC to fit, or you might have an accident while modding, its always better to do the paint work after the hard stuff is done.

Or you could just do it yourself like im doing.

Back