• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Oil Dipstick, New Part Number????

Alex532

CEG'er
I broke my oil dipstick while I had the engine out of the car, so I ordered a new one from the dealer. I went to pick it up the other day and it looked different, yellow ring handle instead of the black T shaped one that I was used to. I questioned it and the guy assured me it was the right one.

When I got home I compared the two and they have different part numbers, new one: F53E-6750-CB and old one:F53E-6750-AC, so I called the guy back and he said that the part numbers "cross over" or something like that. He said that this one was to replace the old part number. So normally I wouldn't be worried, but since they are different lengths and the new one has a MAX line that is 1/4" higher than the old one, I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about this?

Last edited:
I would "assume" your dipstick would be the same as mine. I have a 2000 SVT but it's still a 2.5l engine as yours is. I doubt I'd have a different dipstick. Mine has the yellow ring handle on it. It was on it when I got the car used a couple years ago. In fact, I'd rather have a black t-handle, it would look better.

...When I got home I compared the two and they have different part numbers, new one: F53E-6750-CB and old one:F53E-6750-AC, so I called the guy back and he said that the part numbers "cross over" or something like that. He said that this one was to replace the old part number. So normally I wouldn't be worried, but since they are different lengths and the new one has a MAX line that is 1/4" higher than the old one, I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about this?

... new one its higher, then it will read max with 6 quarts!....

Should be pretty close. This is actually what you want with the factory 2.5L oiling system. Running 6-6.5 qts. is optimum due to the starvation issue these stock blocks have. Fill it to the max line. It's safer!!!!!

You were sold the newer style. It changed IIRC in 1999.

I wonder why some people out there are still arguing that you should not fill to 6 to 6.5 quarts. :shrug:

0.5 quart above max line (for the older model Duratecs) FTW.

because they are dumb.

i believe the newer stick is to compensate for the extra oil specifically.
TGO, you are so diplomatic. Why don't you tell us exactly how you feel? Don't hold back! :laugh:

Perfect, thanks for all the responses...I was thinking it would be perfect since I knew to add more oil than what it was supposed to require. But, I was really confused because I didn't think Ford would actually make an effort to correct something like that.

has anyone had problems with the yellow handled ones breaking like the old t handles,, i have had to extracate more than a few of those old ones:nonono:

TGO, you are so diplomatic. Why don't you tell us exactly how you feel? Don't hold back! :laugh:

Hey man, it's been lab tested and documented from Ford and Roush that running the 6.5 qts won't hurt your engine any. Granted there's no solid proof it fixes the "oiling issue" but the extra .5 qt of oil is cheap when compared to a new motor.

if anyone's arguing that they must be mentally retarded. alot of people on this site argue just for the sake of arguing.

I dunno about you guys, but my stick for the auto trans is a yellow ring handle :idea: Anyone want to double check that part?

I've got a automatic transmission sleeping in my garage, and it definitely has a different dip stick in it than the one I just got from the dealer for the oil. But, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the yellow handle at the parts counter.

Back