• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Borla CatBack In- Differntial out!!

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so i traded my E1's for a real Borla Catback!! Awesome deal and after i had installed, it was time for a test drive!! I went around my block and right after 1/2 way, i thought i missed shifted into 2nd but then after slowing down and putting it in 1st it didn't go and where:cry:...

So first i checked my linkage and that was OK so i put it in gear and tapped the gas... My speedo went up with my RPM but my car went no where, so i think my differential went out..
It was a stock one and i have a 3L so i kind of expected it..

What do you think? It is not in my driveway so i can't see if i just snapped my CV's or what.
But it had NO signs of going out? No kicking in the wheel, nothing..
But at least it sounds nice!

So if it is a differential, should i go Torsen or Quiafe (Sorry if that's misspelled)
If it is, i will just get a transmission with one in it..
And this just happened today:cry:..
I will be pulling my motor to it, so if i can my parents to buy me headers and a Y pipe on top of the tranny.. I will do that, as i haven't had a job for a month and a half..

That sucks man! Good luck fixing it and finding that job (probably a necessary first step)! On a different note where did you find a borla?

That sucks man! Good luck fixing it and finding that job (probably a necessary first step)! On a different note where did you find a borla?

Yea, i do have a job in the bag just waiting on a call.

And i got a PM from a new member on here that wanted some E1 beaters for winter, i had some and he had a Borla catback! I flipped out when he was serious about trading! A straight trade E1's for catback! I had to drive halfway (beardstown IL 2.5HR drive) But it was worth it!
I also have a video of my contour with the stock catback removed and the main cat just hanging while i started it! It sounded soo sexy:drool:..
I may post it if i can figure out how to edit it, as i used F**k in the video not thinking:rolleyes:.

I'd check the shift tower.

Not all to sure how to do that?
I did look down at it while my friend was moving my shifter in and out of all gears, and i looked like it moves how it normally should. I grabbed it and wiggled it and it did not move or anything noticeable.
I got it in my driveway and looked at my CV axles and they were NOT moving in any gear, But my speedometer moves with the RPM regardless if it is neutral or any other gear.

And i can put it in and out of gear without using the clutch? Does that mean the differential for sure or possibly the clutch???
It doesn't grind and never did, so any help would be great! (I know i should post in the troubleshooting section but i don't want to blow up CEG with my problem..)

I can hear my clutch "click" right after i start it up and remove my foot (always in neutral and it and my SE always did that)
Any ideas?

Who's the new guy from Beardstown? I'd like to give a proper welcome to a fellow member from Central IL.

He was actually from Iowa, we met half way.
He name is Anschutz2002

Can anyone help diagnose this problem? I have tried searching but we all know how that goes 99% of the time with the new(er) system.. But i will still continue searching..
I hear no noised that are any different than the usual ones.. With the clutch/wheels in any position...
It just doesn't move:cry:..

I actually got my Borla catback installed on my car about two weeks ago, along with a BAT y-pipe. I found that one new in the box on here for sale... I've had the dang thing almost two years now and it finally found its way on lol. It does sound nice now that's for sure ;)

Good luck on finding your problem... I know diffs for these cars aren't exactly cheap.

Shannon

I actually got my Borla catback installed on my car about two weeks ago, along with a BAT y-pipe. I found that one new in the box on here for sale... I've had the dang thing almost two years now and it finally found its way on lol. It does sound nice now that's for sure ;)

How do you like the BAT Y-pipe I've been considering getting one, but the price is a little steep. Did it make the exhaust sound raspy at all?

How do you like the BAT Y-pipe I've been considering getting one, but the price is a little steep. Did it make the exhaust sound raspy at all?

X2 for sure!

No it's not raspy at all as far as I can tell. The catback has the center "muffler" and then it has, what I believe Borla refers to as the "resonators" right before each tailpipe. It's actually quiet at idle... slightly louder than stock but under throttle it sounds much more authoritative ;) It gave an increase according to the "buttometer" as well... I'd say the 8 to 10 HP that is claimed from BAT with their y-pipe.

The y-pipe I suppose is a little on the expensive side, but it is made of stainless and uses a Magnaflow two into one converter. So now my exhaust from the y-pipe to the tips is all stainless hardware ;) It's a lot better than the stock stuff, which was nearing the point of rusting through. I did manage to save the stock y-pipe that I'm probably going to sale so someone could "optimize" it if they're interested.

I'll see if I can get a friend with a camera to get some sound clips of what it sounds like.

Shannon

Um, 2k SVT from Iowa with a "like new" Borla - That is probably the car I sold last winter with the 9k mile borla cat back I found here in Wisconsin......

OK :laugh:

8-24-2009002.jpg

8-24-2009003.jpg

8-24-2009005.jpg

8-24-2009007.jpg

8-24-2009009.jpg

Um, 2k SVT from Iowa with a "like new" Borla - That is probably the car I sold last winter with the 9k mile borla cat back I found here in Wisconsin......

Annnnnnnd your point is? That its got some oxidation or its really dirty in those pics? I bet if you were to take some steel wool or scotchbrite it would clean back up.

I'd imagine it would be hard to keep exhaust looking good, or anything under the car up in your neck of the woods Joe :D

Shannon

The point is to let him know that if it is the Borla I had, it has very low miles and was stored in a shop on the concrete floor for almost 8 years after it only had 9k miles run through.

I never shined it up, but it was mostly just dust on it.

When I started the car just after install, a dust cloud shot out the pipes :laugh:.

Thanks a lot Kilroy! I like the sounds of having borla but I don't think I'd know what to do. I think the BAT Y is next on my list though thanks for answering that question.

The point is to let him know that if it is the Borla I had, it has very low miles and was stored in a shop on the concrete floor for almost 8 years after it only had 9k miles run through.

I never shined it up, but it was mostly just dust on it.

When I started the car just after install, a dust cloud shot out the pipes :laugh:.

Oh okay... my bad Joe. I thought you was wantin' to start some chit or something :laugh:

Funny thing is my catback fit exactly how the one you posted in the pics did. Specifically, the passenger side tailpipe didn't come out as far as the driver's side. I had an exhaust shop do some "modifying" of the catback on that side to get it to match better. Other than that it fit great on the car :)

Thanks a lot Kilroy! I like the sounds of having borla but I don't think I'd know what to do. I think the BAT Y is next on my list though thanks for answering that question.

No problem... I'll see what I can do about getting some sound clips if that will help you out ;)

Shannon

Back