• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour w/zetec wont start(cranks)

DumbContourdriver

New CEG'er
So my 1999 contours been dead the past 10 months, it would crank fine but wouldn't fire. its the zetec 2.0L. It started running poorly after I had the timing belt replaced as well as the fuel pump because the day I drove it over the pump cracked, started leaking 1/4 tank every mile 1/2. The belt was replaced shortly before I bought it, and long story short they didn't do it right so it threw a code for retarded timing. Any ideas why it wont fire?This is an early 99 so its return fuel system.So anyway I've replaced these things so far:
*plugs and wires
*coil pack
*maf
*cam sensor and wiring
*fuel pump(again)
*fuel filter
*valve cover gasket
*Air filter
Parts I'm working on:
*crank sensor and wiring(can't get enough clearance to replace it)
*iac(same deal)
*fuel pump control module(can't find it)
*fuel tank pressure sensor(also unable to find)
had code for cam sensor, fuel tank pressure sensor, and retard timing. Fuel pressure is 35-45ibs, and I'm pretty sure I have spark.

Sounds like your throwing parts at it.
Failure to start should be easy to narrow down. You need four things: Fuel, Air (and vacuum), Spark, and Compression. Fuel and spark are most common.

1. Fuel:
-Does the fuel pump turn on when you take the key to on?
-If yes, then you probably have fuel but we will come back to that.
-If no, then you need to start checking voltages to figure out where the stop is.
2. Spark:
-Dummy check...Is your PATS light flashing?
-Any codes on the OBDII reader?
-Use a spark tester to check if the plugs are firing or not.
-If yes, then you probably don't have a spark problem.
-If no, then start chasing circuits to figure out why.
3. Air:
-Is there any difference if your pressing the throttle while trying to start?
-If no, then you dont have an air problem.
-If yes, then its probably your IACV
4. Vacuum
-Stick your head under there and listen for vacuum leaks while a friend tries to start it.
-If your not sure, try spraying some starter fluid around the different vacuum joints while your friend tries to start it.
-If still not sure, rent or a buy a vacuum gauge.
5. Compression
-Rent or buy a compression test gauge.
6. Back to fuel again
-Rent or buy a fuel pressure test gauge.

1. Pump works, 35-45 psi.
2. I checked for spark and according to the tester I'm not getting fuel, so I don't know.
3. When trying to start it with the throttle within the 1st 3 seconds therell be a loud bangin sound amits the cranking.
4. The one thing I haven't checked, I've seen one if these run with 2 of its vacuum hoses missing, so I didn't bother.
5. Checked compression when i had the timing redone, it has good even compression in all 4 cylinders. Tho the timing belt may have slipped off, creating no compression?
6.fuel is getting to the rail, so if it isn't getting fuel then the rail itself has issues.

I don't remember what the codes where when the car last ran i just know they correlated with something
* one for high fuel pressure in the tank
* one for retarded timing
* one for camshaft sensor curcuit open

U have any idea where the fuel control module is, someone said the trunk but i never found it.
Can't find the ftp sensor niether

2. I checked for spark and according to the tester I'm not getting fuel, so I don't know.

Huh? What does this mean? A spark tester has nothing to do with fuel.

4. The one thing I haven't checked, I've seen one if these run with 2 of its vacuum hoses missing, so I didn't bother.

Bother

I don't remember what the codes where when the car last ran i just know they correlated with something
* one for high fuel pressure in the tank
* one for retarded timing
* one for camshaft sensor curcuit open

Really? Those are some pretty important codes to think they aren't a problem. You need to figure those out. If the PCM doesn't know where the cam is, it cant run the engine.

This might help:
Zetec ignition.png - Zetec ignition circuit

It means I have a spark tester that also can 'test' for fuel, if the car wasnt getting fuel ithe lightwould flash slowly, if it flashed rapidly it meant there wasn't enough spark. Bought it at harbor freight

I've already addressed the timing code, it went away and never had a chance to come back, the other 2 codes came back tho, cant fix the high fuel pressure because nobody knows where the ftp sensors at. Cams been replaced, car still didn't fire, so I'm working on the crank.

One thing I do remember is that the car was abit louder than normal when it was running. so im thinking its spark related. The spark plugs were original, so it was no surprise to see it running poorly. Is there a certain type of plug it needs and do I really need to "gap"
Them

Back