• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need Help CD4E woes

ConnieThaContour

New CEG'er
Hey y’all Ive been trying to pinpoint a issue I’ve been having, so I’ve got a 97 zetec auto and recently It’s started to act up it shifts through all gears fine while under 45mph but once I am over 45 overdrive starts to act up. It’s almost like it doesn’t know when to up and downshift from overdrive, also according to the ford service manual whats called a manual pull down where it won’t down shift from OD until the speed drops below 40. If I reset the ecu it surges while attempting to down shift from OD where the rpm jump up and down 200rpms. Sorry I know that’s a mouthful but I’m trying to be detailed as possible. I’ve replaced the solenoid pack, range sensor, speed sensor and tss sensor. Main engine wiring harness is new as well.

These cars are NOTORIOUS for having HORRIBLE automatic transmissions, I would be looking for a replacement or a rebuild. Not joking I have personal seen 4 of them break, the Escapes, contours and ALL have problems with this terrible transmission.

Back