• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oiling issue

The escape oil pans have additional baffling. They are pretty inexpensive. I bought one shipped for $59 last week from Rockauto. You could try to add your own baffling inside your oil pan if you want to but you would have a hard time finding anyone who thought it was a good idea...Maybe they only way I would consider it is by custom welding additional baffles onto the stainless windage tray.
Thats a lot of trouble for limited benefit though.

Thank you.
Do you have a pic of the old oil pan internals? It would be interesting to see the differences.

Thank you.
Do you have a pic of the old oil pan internals? It would be interesting to see the differences.

Here's a 99 Cougar 2.5 pan from an ebay listing:
3y94db8.jpg

Here's an Escape pan on the left and a Taurus pan on the right:
qnQDgQX.jpg

Wow, that's significant, it looks like the round "sump" around the oil pickup has increased in diameter, and the area of the whole sump covered by the baffle plate has increased by quite a lot (second picture).
That's a worthwhile $50 spent.
It looks like Ford made a lot of tweaks to this oil pan over the years.

I believe I have the Taurus oil pan in mine, which should be better than the original stock, but is there significant benefit in upgrading to the Escape pan?

Back