• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New SVT Owner

Gavin SVT

New CEG'er
Hey guys, I just bought a 98 CSVT about 2 weeks ago. Been waiting on account approval this whole time, but can finally post about it.

What I know: It's black with 130k miles, all stock and in pretty decent condition. Paid about 3k for it and so far the only problems I seem to have are 1) I didn't know it took premium gas at first (put in 87 for 2 tanks... DOH), 2) loud vibrating noise when I turn to the right, even slightly, at 30+ MPH (CV joint or something?), and 3) the paint is owned from being in the Texas sun. Also the moonroof doesn't work, but I already know it's that stupid plastic gear.

As a previous 99 SE owner I knew I would be comfortable in it, but I didn't know I would fall in love with it instantly. When I saw it on autotrader I just knew I had to have it. It's so nice to drive! The previous owner was right about one thing: it likes to go fast, and luckily I get plenty of room to really open it up on the highways.

Well that's all I got for this post. I'll probably post more in the other forums for specific things.

Once again, hey everyone! :cool:

All Ford, all the time. I smile every time I get behind the wheel of my SVT. Welcome to the SVT ownership experience. :cool:

As a new SVT owner myself they sure are fun. I still have yet to really get on it and see what it can do. Heck I am still saying that about my SE! LOL My fiance likes it because of the better cup holders....sheeesh.

I see one on the road and think back to how much I loved mine... then I remember that he was possesed. His name was Willie.. one because one of the headlights got busted and two ( please dont take offense anyone ) he was homosexual in nature.. more high maint than ANY woman out there. :)

Welcome to the CEG! :)

Congrats on the new ride. Post some pictures when you get a chance, we like pictures. :)

...loud vibrating noise when I turn to the right, even slightly, at 30+ MPH (CV joint or something?), ...
Welcome again :cool: !

Do the o'clock test.

O'clock test

Jack up the car one side. Place on jack stand.

Grasp wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and push in and out. Any movement, most probably suspect wheel bearing.

9 and 3 o'clock - tie-rod/ball joint.

Lower the car and do the same for the other side.

welcome to CEG!

youll enjoy your SVT alot trust me. I got mine when i was 15 last june and have loved it ever since. Im so glad i got it. The CSVT is one heck of a nice car. everybody loves em`

I too am a New CSVT owner. I'm also something of a convert in that I was raised anti-Ford. (My dad is a GM guy). I totalled my SE-R Vspec due to an unfortunate natural phenomenon known as hydroplaning....

I was looking for something new and saw a '00 Black SVT Contour at the local CarMax within the price I was looking for with only 45,000 miles. Being the anti-ford child of my dad, was going to just walk on by until I noticed the SVT badge on the trunk. Now TX is SATURATED with Mustangs and F-150s, so it's almost common knowledge that SVT on a Ford is supposed to be something special, but I thought "SVT on a CONTOUR???... I gotta check this out." A quick test-drive later and I was filling out the paperwork on my new CSVT!! It got even better after I re-fueled, cause I think the CarMax had filled it up with Regular Gas! Now I'm loving every drive, every stoplight, and every rev of the engine.

Anyways, that's my "Comming into the CSVT" story. I hope you enjoy your new CSVT as much as I do... I just hope you don't have to defend the decision to your family as much as I have had too. :laugh:

Ok, I'll add my 2 cents here.

Got my SVT a year ago January. Put new Bilstein shocks on lowered BAT springs that came with it - great ride.

I look for every opportunity to drive it. Its a great ride. And that about sums it up.

i bought my 98 svt with 94k it has 116 k no problems ive added exhuast and intake and short thorw b&m shifter and better wider tires

i also deliver pizza on the side in my svt
8 hours a week
its a blast delivering pizza in it
dont ask me why

Welcome to the group. The SVT is definitely more of a blast to drive than the SE, but I love them both. Take care of your SVT and your SVT will take care of you :cool:

my zetec contour was my first car, and while it was a good car, it was lackin greatly. now i have my cougar, now some of you may not know but it is the same chassis, i love driving it, im bout to get my girl a CSVT and she thinks their cute. lol. but i am sure your going to love it!

Congrats on the purchase. I will soon celebrate seven years of CSVT ownership, and while we've had occasional disagreements over the years - what relationship doesn't? - I love this car more than ever.

Back