"Ultimate Factories" on Nat'l Geographic channel Jan 28 @ 8PM Eastern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ultimate Factories" on Nat'l Geographic channel Jan 28 @ 8PM Eastern

Caterpillar's 797B featured in National Geographic Channel's "Ultimate Factories" (US)

On Monday, January 28, 2008 (7PM CT, 8PM ET/PT) the National Geographic Channel takes you behind the scenes and inside the high-tech mega-manufacturing plants that create Caterpillar’s 797B off-road mining truck. 

“Ultimate Factories” travels across the country and provides a real insiders’ tour of the 797B’s assembly process in Amite, LA; Lexington, SC; Lafayette, IN; Joliet, IL; and Decatur, IL. The one-hour program highlights the engineering and manufacturing expertise that is required to build the world’s largest off-road mining truck.

It takes more than 6 plants, approximately 80 days and tons of material to transform molten metal into this “engineering marvel and mining goliath.”  As you’ll see, the truck is so large, the final assembly has to take place at the actual mine site – and that alone takes about 21 days! 

Throughout the program, the 797B is featured hard at work in the Canadian Oil Sands in Ft. McMurray, Alberta, Canada.   
    Bob Johann
    SoundQ SVT
    1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088
    5 correction: 6-Time Sound Quality Champion in IASCA, SLAP, and MECA
    2000 Silver Mystique LS V6ATX - SOLD 5/23/2013

Thanks for the update. I haven't been watching NG, TLC, or Discovery for awhile. Looked at the NG website and noticed the ZO6 factory (ZO6 start to finish build is 36 hours) is slated somewhere in the future. Also HD, BMW, Ferrari, Apache, and M-1. I'm definitely going to have to start monitoring the Dish guide!

Ya know, I could have sworn TLC or Discovery had a 'Worlds Biggest' episode on the 797B? I'l assume they aren't the same program though ...
    Last edited by rk2k2; 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM.
    '99 CSVT #755, 3L, SVT LIM/UIM/ cams
    Borla cat-back, Sho Shop(?) optimized Y/ high flow cat
    SPEC flywheel/ Sachs clutch, Quaife, B&M
    Zyoxx 18x7.5 ZX14's w/ 225/40zr18 Nitto Neogen's

Comment

I'll be watching Bob. Love that show and the H channel.
      Former owner of '98 SVT #1,173. Need a 95-00 Ford CD manual? PM me

Comment

Great show. The Ferrari plant was pretty interesting.
        '99 Silver svt 3.0 Turbo

Comment

Working...
        X