CSVT Reviewed by David Patterson aka ThatDudeinBlue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSVT Reviewed by David Patterson aka ThatDudeinBlue

More publicity! I thought it was a good review of the car. https://youtu.be/CFCY4znaqZk
    1997 Ford Contour Sport (Duratec 2.5L with MTX)-Daily Driver-Overhaul 223,150 Miles: Now at 229,000 Miles
    1999 Ford Contour SVT (Duratec 2.5L with MTX) #583 of 2760 T Green -Build In Progress (Engine Repair)

FWIW, while Cosworth might have had some input in the initial development of the Duratec V6 engines, I was working for Ford at the time the SVT Contour was in development and available for sale, and I bought my '99 on A-plan.

Roush Technologies was hired to do the development of the Duratec V6 for the SVT Contour, and their initial work was to pull six 2.5L engines from normal production and put each on an engine dyno. Not a single engine produced even 160HP, yet this engine was rated 168HP for its entire build life from 1994 to 2000. Roush reported back to SVT that their 200HP target was over 40HP away, and Roush recommended using the 3.0L V6 (Wouldn't that have been nice?), but John Coletti at SVT vetoed that and we got the 2.5L engine. Roush had to do considerably more development to reach SVT's 200HP target.

The principle calibration engineer at Roush for the 2.5L V6 for the SVT Contour is a friend of mine, and I worked with his father at Ford for many years.
    I collect Ford's Red-headed step children.
    1985 SVO Mustang (turbocharged track rat)
    1989 Taurus SHO (supercharged track rat)
    1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetter-Rapidus)
    2008 Mercury Milan Premier (Comfy boat)

Comment

4-6 more years until the SVT becomes a classic car! Still get a smile on my face every time I drive my car.
      1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760
      Show: Mille Miglia MM-S rims, Stazi mesh, B&M shifter
      Go: Headers, Optimized Y-pipe & TB, Magnaflow res, Mirko MAF adapter + KN-RU3530
      Ride: Koni Kit, SFCs, SS brake lines

Comment

Wow, I need to check in more often I just saw your reply gmorrell. I didn't know Roush had input on the SVT variant of the Duratec. Also, did the stock engines really only produce 160HP?!?! That's kind of sad, to be honest. Now I know why my Sport is soooo sloowww. I swear Porsche was the company to actually design the Duratec first then Ford buying the engineering rights so is this wrong?
        1997 Ford Contour Sport (Duratec 2.5L with MTX)-Daily Driver-Overhaul 223,150 Miles: Now at 229,000 Miles
        1999 Ford Contour SVT (Duratec 2.5L with MTX) #583 of 2760 T Green -Build In Progress (Engine Repair)

Comment

Working...
        X