• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running a Chip

Trademark

CEG'er
I'm thinking of running a chip on my zetec. I don't know much about anything, I know there is diablo and superchip... what is everyone else using? would it need to be programmed/installed or could I do it myself? what kinda gains are you getting from them, advantages/disadvantages. I already have the intake/exhaust and possibly racing headers.., I'm just looking for some more hp, I think the chip is the next step??

here's my 2 pennies worth....... if i were you i would get a chip that can be mapped to your specific motor and then remapped if you carry on tuning the motor, ie cams or fi.
off the shelf chips do not always get the best from your motor as each motor is different even with the same mods done to them.

that sounds reasonable. I guess since no one wants to answer any questions I have I should try to go back to the search in the older forums.. again.. I never seem to find things that people will say has been talked about 100 times, I guess that is what you get for having a Zetec on an SVT site.. if I liked BUCKEYE on FC.O I'd post there (probably will anyways).... oh well. thanks d c. I will look for a chip that isn't off the shelf.??

by off the shelf i mean one that has been pre programmed to set parameters as opposed to one that can be customised to your specific motor and mods.

I guess since no one wants to answer any questions...

Jeez. You just posted this YESTERDAY. You've gotta give people time. Not everyone has 20,000 posts and checks the forum every 10mins.

Contact SCT and ask them if they still sell chips for OBD-I PCMs. I can't get to my old PM's on the old forums but one of the other CEG'ers was looking to do the same thing to his 95. SCT still sold chips at the time (about 6 months ago). You can also ask them if they can sell you a programmer for the chip. You can then tune it your self with the Pro Race software.

You may also want to contact Brent at Brenspeed. He's the one that most of us have bought our xcal2 programmers through. (the xcal2 only works on 96+ OBD-II PCMs)

HTH,
BP

Back