• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

question about focus header in craigslist

Dont' do it unless you plan on modifing it. The Focus runs the exhaust under the engine. Our exhaust runs around the passenger side.

HTH,
BP

Dont' do it unless you plan on modifing it. The Focus runs the exhaust under the engine. Our exhaust runs around the passenger side.

HTH,
BP

is that on 98 and up zetecs because my exhaust on my 97 runs straight down and straight back, I think the cats are different though but I cannot be sure unless I looked at both.

No offense, but I doubt it. AFIAK, all Zetec Contours have the exact same exhaust routing. (That goes for Mystiques and Cougars too.)

Here is a good pic...

header002.jpg

You can see that the exhaust pipe comes out of the bottom side of the catalytic converter. It is then routed by the passenger side frame rail. A Focus exhaust comes straight down and straight under the engine right next to the tranny. Our oiplan is deep next to the tranny and shallow by the frame rail. The opposite of the Focus.

HTH,
BP

Last edited:
ic, ok thanks a lot guys. it looks like too much trouble to make it worth it.

althought I'm not sure what it looks like.. I might go check it out and see if it is comparible to the one in the photo.. it wouldn't bolt on to my exisiting cat? or would that not improve much performance? and then i would have the downpipe leftover? sry if I'm asking irrelevent questions.. thanks for the help

Last edited:
ic, ok thanks a lot guys. it looks like too much trouble to make it worth it.

althought I'm not sure what it looks like.. I might go check it out and see if it is comparible to the one in the photo.. it wouldn't bolt on to my exisiting cat? or would that not improve much performance? and then i would have the downpipe leftover? sry if I'm asking irrelevent questions.. thanks for the help

The header replaces everything - including the cat. You cannot use your stock cat with the header, they have bolts at different locations.

That HUGE canister for the catalytic converter is a power robber. If you can ditch it, do it. Be sure you stay legal with a smaller in-line cat. I found a small 4" round bullet cat & had that installed, but I wish I had gone with a high-flow unit like a magnaflow or sup'm. I think that would work even better.

To keep the sound from getting too loud, start with a stock SVT exhaust system to bolt to those headers. You will likely have to get an exhaust shop to put an extra length of pipe in, or weld in a cat if you go that route.

on the earlier zetec mondeos, silvertop motors, the oil pan is on the other side to that of the later blacktop motors (same as the focus). i found this out a while back when i bought a header and downpipe from zxtuner in the US for a zetec contour and found the downpipe never fitted my blacktop (focus motor) so had to have it chopped and modified.
i dont know if the same applies to the contour, i'd imagine it does

Last edited:
No offense, but I doubt it. AFIAK, all Zetec Contours have the exact same exhaust routing. (That goes for Mystiques and Cougars too.)

Here is a good pic...

header002.jpg

You can see that the exhaust pipe comes out of the bottom side of the catalytic converter. It is then routed by the passenger side frame rail. A Focus exhaust comes straight down and straight under the engine right next to the tranny. Our oiplan is deep next to the tranny and shallow by the frame rail. The opposite of the Focus.

HTH,
BP

Wow, supprisingly I've took off the exhaust before and I never noticed that bend and when I saw the pic you posted I went out and check and sure enough it had the bend. I guess you could chalk that up to a lack of attention to detail. but to get back to that pic I do have a 4 bolt exhaust manifold to cat and the downpipe is welded to the bottom of the cat and takes the route that you were saying. I looked up aftermarket cats and I'm having difficulties finding one that will go with it, so my question is will a cat actually fit there or do you have to run it without a cat.

Back