• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SS Header - really nice looking

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
The Cougar guys have been sitting on this one. Check it out...

http://www.promotiontuning.com/Merc...07&Category_Code=9902CougarPerformanceHeaders

Yofavcracka on the NECO forums has a good post...

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106937

header001.jpg

header002.jpg

header003.jpg

At $317, it's not cheap, but I really like the large runners and the nice mandrel bends.

I've gotta do my taxes. :cool:

BP

Last edited:
Identical to the Weapon R headers I have on the Contour. Price is not bad... Great actually for SS. You will be required to install a MIL eliminator, and you will not pass the sniffer emissions test if you have it in your state/county.

We don't have testing here, but I had a bullet CAT installed anyway just to make sure my daughters car was legal with the headers.

100_1596.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, very pretty. Hows the sound? Must be loud.

Now on the old headers(stock) what is that huge bulge on it right after the exhaust ports. I've see it on my car and thought it was another restricting device Ford put on the car.

Edit: Nevermind just checked out the fourm, and yes it is loud apparently.

Last edited:
mabey a fall project??
my car only came with one o2 sensor and the cougar header has the o2 bung. All i need it to cut out my resantator and put in a high flow cat. In ontario they like to give you masive tickets for removing your cats.

It is LOUD! I have plenty of tickets to prove it.:blackeye:

Wish there was something this nice when I had the Tour.:cry:

So let me get this right, these headers are a direct replacement to the 95-00 Contour Zetec VCT engine. I remember there being problems with fitment issues. It also said something about a two bolt flange on the CC.

So let me get this right, these headers are a direct replacement to the 95-00 Contour Zetec VCT engine. I remember there being problems with fitment issues. It also said something about a two bolt flange on the CC.

They were a direct replacement on my '99 with VCT. I didn't know that Zetecs even came with anything but a 2 bolt flange.

Other than having no cat when installed, the only thing to adjust for is the lower O2 sensor. It gets a bit close to the subframe with the header, but is easily adjusted - if you pay attention to what you're doing.

Nice, I might look into that as a summer project. I hope they sell them for a while. I was already going to get a custom exhaust to replace the stock one, but that will def add to it and it looks good.

What happens to the top, first, O2 sensor. Is that where the MIL eliminator goes?

What happens to the top, first, O2 sensor. Is that where the MIL eliminator goes?

Top sensor just plugs into a bung on the header, almost in the same position as stock, but to the side a bit.

The MIL eliminator gets installed on the 2nd (lower) sensor under the car. The header pipe has a bung there too. At least the WR header set I got did.

You can see the bungs clearly in the picture I posted above, and you can see the tip of the O2 sensor in that engine bay pic that ButtonPuncher posted.

now that I look closely, you can see both bungs in the side by side shot.

Last edited:
On those pics, he doesn't have it re-installed. On the Focus, the dipstick comes up the center (between cylinders 2 and 3). You'd have to get a Focus dipstick and dipstick tube or modify yours somehow.

BTW, good eye. ;)

BP

On those pics, he doesn't have it re-installed. On the Focus, the dipstick comes up the center (between cylinders 2 and 3). You'd have to get a Focus dipstick and dipstick tube or modify yours somehow.

BTW, good eye. ;)

Good eye, indeed!

I just re-used the Contour dipstick. It bolted up in the same spot. That header is made for the Cougar/Contour Zetec, yes? It looks identical to the Weapon-R set, so I presume that it should work the same in every way.

Back