• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel injectors

I'll be nice and start by saying that you need at least 40# injectors, either a Mustang GT MAF or a 80mm Lightning MAF, a bigger fuel pump, a good 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, and a good intercooler. There's still some debate about exactly how big the stock Zetec injectors are. They are between 16 and 19#.

Now for the rant...

WTF? You're running 5psi of boost on a bone stock 95? STOP!!! You're gonna blow it up!!!!

Please tell me you have a chip from SCT to help compensate somehow.

The TD04-12A only flows 320CFM @ 15psi. A stock zetec will flow 435CFM @ 15psi. You are going to be so far off the map, all you're going to do is make hot air.

Here's my injector data from the old forum:

I've seen the question of "How big do my injectors need to be for XXX horsepower?" With more and more Contique Zetecers going FI, here's some good info.

(injectors size*number of injectors)/0.55=Crank Horsepower

19# Injectors=(19*4)/0.55=138HP
24# Injectors=(24*4)/0.55=175HP
30# Injectors=(30*4)/0.55=218HP
42# Injectors=(42*4)/0.55=305HP
50# Injectors=(50*4)/0.55=363HP
60# Injectors=(60*4)/0.55=436HP
61# Injectors=(61*4)/0.55=444HP
71# Injectors=(71*4)/0.55=516HP

Please keep in mind that these numbers are all for crank horsepower and that you never want to run an injector wide open. With a 90% duty cycle you would get the following...

19# Injectors=((19*4)/0.55)0.90=124HP
24# Injectors=((24*4)/0.55)0.90=157HP
30# Injectors=((30*4)/0.55)0.90=196HP
42# Injectors=((42*4)/0.55)0.90=275HP
50# Injectors=((50*4)/0.55)0.90=327HP
60# Injectors=((60*4)/0.55)0.90=393HP
61# Injectors=((61*4)/0.55)0.90=399HP
71# Injectors=((71*4)/0.55)0.90=465HP

Again, these numbers are all for crank horsepower. You would loose an additional 10-15% of your horsepower with a manual and 15-20% with an ATX.

You also want high impedance injectors that have Bosch (EV1) style connectors.

CFM carries them in sets of four and have very good prices. McNews Automotive also carries the Ford Racing injectos in sets of four.

I hope this helps.

Later,
Ben

I hope that you listen to reason and don't blow up your Zetec.

BP

I'll be nice and start by saying that you need at least 40# injectors, either a Mustang GT MAF or a 80mm Lightning MAF, a bigger fuel pump, a good 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, and a good intercooler. There's still some debate about exactly how big the stock Zetec injectors are. They are between 16 and 19#.

Now for the rant...

WTF? You're running 5psi of boost on a bone stock 95? STOP!!! You're gonna blow it up!!!!

Please tell me you have a chip from SCT to help compensate somehow.

The TD04-12A only flows 320CFM @ 15psi. A stock zetec will flow 435CFM @ 15psi. You are going to be so far off the map, all you're going to do is make hot air.

Here's my injector data from the old forum:

I hope that you listen to reason and don't blow up your Zetec.

BP

thats crazy!! running 5 pounds of boost on my motor is safe... I talked to a turbo guy and he said running 5 psi is safe i should not blow the motor and any reason to blow the motor its because of overboost.....

its only safe if you have the fuel system to match it and running stock injectors is not a good idea.

im assuming your asking about injector size so you know how much bigger you need to go and not how much boost you can run with the stock injectors.

its only safe if you have the fuel system to match it and running stock injectors is not a good idea.

im assuming your asking about injector size so you know how much bigger you need to go and not how much boost you can run with the stock injectors.

well, i'm asking what is our stock injector size? I'm not running more boost. I'm leaving the boost on 3-5 pounds.....on 5 pounds the stock fuel system should keep up with the turbo...i shouldn't have any problems...

Last edited:
So what tuning are you using? You can't just throw bigger injectors on. Your fuel trims will be soo screwed up. That and you will be maxxing out your stock MAF.

I'm trying to help. There was another guy on here that just threw a turbo on his Zetec and blew it up. He had a rising rate FPR, stock MAF, and no way of pulling timing.

Do you at least have a wideband so that you can watch your AFR?

I want to see you succeed. I swear. :)

BP

Yes but you still need some way to adjust your ignition timing. also like ButtonPuncher said you are going to max out the stock MAF quickly. IIRC its only good for 7Lbs/min of air flow.

So what tuning are you using? You can't just throw bigger injectors on. Your fuel trims will be soo screwed up. That and you will be maxxing out your stock MAF.

I'm trying to help. There was another guy on here that just threw a turbo on his Zetec and blew it up. He had a rising rate FPR, stock MAF, and no way of pulling timing.

Do you at least have a wideband so that you can watch your AFR?

I want to see you succeed. I swear. :)

BP

well, I understand you trying help, I understand that! I'm NOT putting no bigger intjectors in my zetec...A friend of mine that has a turbo tc ask me what cc's injectors I have in my car stock!!! My zetec is not going to blow up.. the only way to blow up the zetec is overboost

overboost or not, if the MAF is maxed out and your moving more air than that then you will not have enough fuel for the amount of air coming in. guess what happens when you have too much air and not enough fuel? thats right it goes "boom". now since i dont have the specs for the stock MAF and a compressor map for your turbo sitting in front of me i cant tell you if your maxing your MAF or not. This is also assuming that the stock injectors can handle the extra amount of fuel they need to supply.

boost

boost

overboost or not, if the MAF is maxed out and your moving more air than that then you will not have enough fuel for the amount of air coming in. guess what happens when you have too much air and not enough fuel? thats right it goes "boom". now since i dont have the specs for the stock MAF and a compressor map for your turbo sitting in front of me i cant tell you if your maxing your MAF or not. This is also assuming that the stock injectors can handle the extra amount of fuel they need to supply.

i'm glad you said that.... if you unplug the maf idle high does it...so you know what that means. uncontrol air tells the computer to dump more fuel !right!

if you unplug the MAF it goes to a default setting for the IAC, Injectors, and ignition, as well as all sorts of other stuff. it uses the air temp and barometer to calulate the air density and tells the IAC to stay at a certain point only allowing so much air in and it knows to put so much fuel with that amount of air.

the only reason why it may dump more fuel for unmeasured air is cause the O2 sensor says your running too lean and it needs more fuel. the computer adjusts the injectors to allow more fuel and you very quickly begin to run them at more than 90% duty cycle.

The simple solution is to get some larger injectors, a bigger MAF (capable of reading at least probably 30-40Lbs/Min of air), and a tune of some kind to pull the timing a little bit. I have a set of 30# injectors that i am willing to sell if you want them (PM me about them). as for the MAF i believe the lightning or cobra 80mm MAF's are what everyone else is using. the tune is gonna be the hardest part. do those three things and you wont regret it.

well, I glad you said that because its boost'd right at 5 pounds and no problems........

well, I glad you said that because its boost'd right at 5 pounds and no problems........
How do you know there isn't problems? Unless you run a wideband you will never know.:nonono:

Are you running anything? Oil temp, oil pressure, EGT gauges? :shrug:

N/A car has properly sized injectors/MAF for that setup. Your car has no way of monitoring the extra air, plain and simple.

Eh just let him blow it up Hector. He doesnt want to take advice from people who know what they're talking about. when he does blow it i have some fuel injectors he can buy to help keep from blowing it again.

Eh just let him blow it up Hector. He doesnt want to take advice from people who know what they're talking about. when he does blow it i have some fuel injectors he can buy to help keep from blowing it again.
Trying to help him since I was down the same route.

BTW, if you want some advice, get striker's injectors, Mustang GT MAF, and a custom chip. If not, better have a spare block.:blackeye:

Back