• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front roll resistor mod

contour_r_us

Hard-core CEG'er
I have researched this until my head hurts - I find conflicting information - I would like to "upgrade" my '95 Zetec front RR from it's poor/weak design to those used in the V6 models. I think I have that correct - a later OEM RR that I can bolt on (with mod?) to my '95 and then utilize the Energy Suspension poly insert or even a modded poly RR. Enlighten me please. Thanks - Bill

As far an I know the roll resistor are the same between pre98 and 98+, with that being said I got poly roll resistor from prt that bolt right on. Aslong as you don't mind a lot more vibration in the car they are perfect. Lol

Thanks for the info - I had read in a number of places that the pre98 used an entirely diff design than the post98. I also read that the V6 could be fit to our Zetec with a mod to the mounting holes. Of course that would allow me to use my ES poly insert. A little vibration increase is not a concern for what it should gain - less drive train wrap-up upon acceleration. Is this your experience? I have only experience on my VW GTI and it is "day and night" compared to stock RR and poly. Again, thanks for your input!

It was a massive difference for me. But my stock rr were so bad that the axles would hit the power steering lines that run along the sub frame:eek:. And when I first put them in the was A LOT more vibration. It got better...not sure if the poly started moving more or I got used to it though. Lol
Also the transmissions should be the same asfar as mounting concered (not 100% sure though) but I do know that there isn't a difference between 4cyl and 6cyl.

Glad to hear about the massive difference. I do know I was able to replace the mount itself, seperate from the outer housing. Appears that there is NO difference btween 4cyl and 6cyl, just as you point out. Here is what BAT has to say, a source I trust: SVT torque mounts are the logical upgrade for 95-97manual transmission cars. These uprated mounts reduce
engine movement and associated problems. H.D. urethane mount inserts are specially designed to fill the "air gap" spaces around standard rubber motor mounts making them considerably more firm. Limiting excessive engine movement also helps to reduce torque steer. Great for both straight line acceleration and carving up the Auto-X course. Note H.D. mount inserts fit 1998 > manual transmission cars only. Earlier cars (95-97) require SVT torque mounts prior to fitting H.D. engine mount insert.

So, this leads me to believe the '95~'97 mounts are diff than later mounts. Appears the '98~'00 mounts fit (SVT preferred). Your experience/thoughts support this notion?

I don't know having never owned a pre98 but from what I have learned over the years is that all contours use the same parts under the hood for the most part. That leads me to believe that the subframe and transmission is the same (aside from cable/rod shift). But the design of the rubber within the mount might be different. But without a picture of an older style rr I don't know for sure. Also adding poly inserts into a standard rubber mount won't be as stiff as a solid poly mount. Also as much as I hate to disagree with BAT but torque steer is a byproduct of different size axles not mount flex.

BAT uses the name SVT Torque Mount - has nothing to do with "torque steer" as you so correctly pointed out. I will see what I can do to locate pics. Agree - my experience wiht inserts vs solid poly is as yours. Thanks again - Bill

Back