• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Im thinking of getting a 2.0 contour

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Im thinking of getting a 99-00 automatic 2.0 contour for a Daily Driver after i strip my svt bare....AND DUMP IT

Is there a big difference in power on the zetec vs. vct ? Not for racing,im just going to put my svt wheels, svt interior and bumpers and side skirts etc.. on it and just daily pound it....maybe headers intake and exhaust and nothing else special. My svt sits for repairs more than i can drive it so i figure a 2.0 auto will need less maintenance and ill get to drive it more ..... I had a vct 99 contour but cant really remember much it was a long time ago and only had it for a few months. But if the zetec is better ill get that to daily And maybe later when i come across a super clean well maintained csvt i can give it another go..But me and my csvt we are not vibing right now and it might be time for use to go our separate ways

Just did a search lol...

no power difference that i'm aware of between non-VCT and VCT Zetec's. So far my VCT Zetec is at 230,000 miles and has given me no issues besides maintenance. I would also suggest trying to find one with a 5-speed instead of the automatic, people are always complaining about issues with that transmission.

I figured the 5 speeds always get 3rd gear grinds and cable ends wear out,and even a time where it would be stuck in first gear because something broke inside and new tranny would be needed. and if a clutch goes its big bucks in labor. i figure automatics require less attention ive had every problem with the 5 speed on this contour svt and my other ones.....The 5 speeds and v6s just need way to much attention. and i like having a automatic for a daily driver. Maybe ill get lucky and find one with low miles and babied lol.....

I've got alot of miles on my 5-speed and haven't had any issues with it. it grinds going into first if you don't stop first, but that doesn't bother me any. the last clutch change I did cost me about 800, and that was the first clutch replacement at 180,000 miles.

Ive had a v6 5 speed stuck in reverse and shifter moves but only goes in reverse lol,and the replacement one got stuck in first and same symptoms....and the one i have now has rotten shift cable ends and 3rd gear scratch unless i drop the rpms real low and shift slow. I just dont trust these MTX 5 speeds.....i had a 99 v6 mystique automatic tranny drove it a 120,000 miles and dogged on it all day every day never gave me one problem ever. Im probably going to get a auto for a daily unless i found a good 5 speed 2.0 for a decent price in mint condition. Its kinda cool on the 2.0 contours if the timing belt breaks the engine is still safe

Get a pre98. I never developed a grind in any gears, better shifter linkage, better differential, and heated mirrors.

I would but i hear pre98s have the hit or miss wire harness and i like the front end on the 98up better,something about the 98 up headlights just look so awsome lol

yup, pre98 is the way to go for the 5-speed. rod shifter means no cable ends to break/pop off and the shift tower doesnt have the damn bolt that always shears off leaving stuck in gear. also the pre98 Zetec is built like a damn tank. the main bearing caps are larger than even the billet ones made for the Focus, no VCT to have issues with either.

Is it possible to put the whole 98 front end on the pre98s ? i like the svt bumper and headlight style up front, im guessing i would have to change the core support

I loved mine. I had a 96 GL, the only option was the AC. Rear disc brake conversion, 17mm rear sway bar, 98 SE wheels painted black, lowered about an inch and a half. I was in the middle of swapping the rear trunk lid for a 98 SE with spoiler and adding SE side skirts. The GL's are really light and with a few mods handle even better without the weight of the V6 over the front axel. I'd done a ton of mods to mine besides what I listed. Never had a problem with my 5 speed, first thing to do is put in a mystique cluster with tach. Spend some time at a junk yard and you can upgrade it with later model parts on the cheap. I put in a mystique power drivers seat and passenger seat which have quite a bid more padding, spilt folding rear seat, map light etc. I had just shy of 200k on mine, did the timing at 153k. That car saved me a ton of money and was great to drive. The only thing I wanted that was unlikely to happen was cruise control. I'd get 440 miles out of a tank on frequent road trips. In short, great car to own.

If i got any 2.0 contour id get my complete svt interior put in. My svt front and rear bumpers and side skirts and wheels....my svt gauge cluster. My svt sway bars...My h&R springs and kyb shocks.....my svt exhaust...I would basically just put everything i could from my car down to the EO front brakes and just sell the rest and dump it and id be done with mine to just daily drive....ive seen a color i wanted it was a 2000 T-red with Midnight blue interior with 2.0 engine....that would be easier for me to swap interior just seats and eo dash and i got a spare Tred svt front bumper ill just buff and slap it on lol.....Im going to try to find that one with lower miles and super clean ill finance it if i have to i dont want to end up with someone elses problems

I figured the 5 speeds always get 3rd gear grinds and cable ends wear out,and even a time where it would be stuck in first gear because something broke inside and new tranny would be needed. and if a clutch goes its big bucks in labor.

The newest Contours are 13ish years old. Most SVTs have been bought cheap and beat on. Forums like these completely skew perspective on reliability because, of course, people are far more likely to post when they have an issue than to report everything is working fine. We have no data on the frequency of these issues, just opinions based largely on troubleshooting posts. What many here would consider common issues won't happen to most owners IMO.

Well maintained Duratecs have served many of us very well for many years without much issue. Automatic Zetecs are very, very boring.

I love automatics for some reason and people have made fun of me or called me a wuss,im 34 now it doesnt really bother me lol i dont race i dont speed much and i care more on looks clean paint and very clean interior

5 speed is the way to go on the 2.0, this car is not tuned for top end. All the torque is in the middle, short shift it and you'll get the most out of it plus your MPG won't suffer much. My mods were done on the cheap, mostly junk yard parts and second hand:

Audio:

Dual blue tooth hands free stereo (sounds not so great, but better than getting a ticket for using my cell and it was dirt cheap)
Pioneer 6x8 two way speakers x 4 (should have saved up for some better speakers)
Kicker 10inch sub sealed box (cheap box, cheap sub, not trying to win any audio competitions)
Dual 400 watt amp (bridged) (walmart FTW, pushes my clearance 10inch pretty good)

Iinterior:

Mystique gauge cluster with tachometer (a must for the content deprived contour GL's)
Mystique map light (why didn't they all come with this?)
Mystique dual cup holder (searched for days before I found one that was shallow enough for my center console)
Mystique headliner handles rear (don't know why I did this but it only cost a couple of bucks)
Mystique passenger front seat (there are pockets in the rear of these seats if it matters, the padding is so much better than the stock GL's)
Mystique drivers side 10 way adjustable power seat (most cars will already have the harness for this under their drivers seat, you may need to add a fuse for it though)

Mystique fold down rear seat w/arm rest/trunk pass through
Rearcenter console cigarettes lighter (a little hack I decided to add for a road trip, much better than one of those cigarette lighter splitters)

Suspension\brakes:

1999 Ford Contour SE 17mm rear sway bar (couldn't find an 18mm and this thing cost next to nothing and made a noticeable improvement in cornering)
1999 Ford Contour SE 15inch wheels gloss black 205 6015's (look surprisingly good on a lowered contour and I paid $54 from the junk yard)
1996 Mystique rear disc brakes (got these on the cheap from the JY, some new e brake cables for the rear disc equipped cars and I couldn't have been happier)

Performance:

Accel coil pack
Esslinger under drive pulley

Exterior:

HID low beams (I know how we all feel about this but I need to see at night, beam scatter and oncoming drivers be damned!)
B&G lowering springs (picked up on this forum for $75 if I recall correctly, love them, love the way the car sits)
Walmart Fog lights (they're not the best you can get but they work and are aesthetically more pleasing than the black place holders)

Modifications acquired not yet installed

Alternator over drive pulley
Walbro 190lph fuel pump
Accel Adjustable FPR (you'll need to use a CAI if you want to use the accel FPR, it won't clear the stock plastic manifold)
1999 Ford Contour SE trunk lid w/spoiler (I'm not in love with the spoiler, might have to go with a mystique trunk lid and just swap on the contour center light)
1999 Ford Contour SE side skirts (JY find, $5!! I'll need to get a riveter from Harbor Freight)

This has been a gratifying car to own, roll up windows and manual locks. Power windows and locks are the only thing that I miss having. However if its about just back to basics driving, low weight, fun handling car.... I never wanted a V6 powered contour. I paid $1100 for this car when it had 53k on the odo. Its got around 198k on it now, no harness problems, original clutch. I did the timing, replaced the water pump, alternator and AC compressor, catalytic converter and a rear wheel bearing since I've owned the car. I had a strange issue with the clutch master cylinder, I think that worn rear brake shoes on my drums was introducing contamination into the fluid via an over extended cylinder. I wrecked it and replaced the whole front end for about $150 worth of junk yard parts. If you wrench on your car and have a solid car to begin with these cars will give you years of trouble free ownership, cheap maintenance costs and with a few suspension mods a very rewarding driving experience.

Awesome mods.....Thats what i figured the 2.0 can be just as fun as a v6,Maybe even more fun with plenty of mods available. 5 speed will be ok to have im just worried if it was beat on hard i dont want another problem contour,lol id rather just keep mine than find another one with problems and since Dallas/Ft.Worth is such a big area most of them have super high miles and who knows if the timimg belt was ever changed on them,good thing they dont damage anything if they snap like hondas.....Thats a plus.....Im wondering if they ever made a 99-00 T-red with midnight blue interior and a 2.0 5 speed

Did T red come on non SVT contours? I'm a little ignorant about the SVT's, I got into Contours after buying my GL and like I said, I really was never interested in getting an SVT oddly enough. I like the looks of the SVT cars, but anything that can be done to them suspension wise can be done on the 2.0 cars. Plus the GL's are just so easy to work on and they are a lot lighter. I think mine tipped the scales at around 2800 lbs. Even on the stock suspension and 14inch walmart tires it was fun to throw into corners. With the mods I did it made my road trips even that much more fun. Drove from Southern Utah (Moab etc.) all the way to Tulsa OK after I did the suspension mods and added the SE alloys and decent tires, driving through the mountains on I-70 outside of Denver was sweet. When it was stock I used to take it up to the mountains outside of Tahoe and just enjoy driving it at 8/10ths. Better to drive a slow car fast.... That car replaced a 96 Talon TSi AWD with mods. That car was fast but heavy and the weight really takes away from the driving enjoyment. If you end up getting one you'll see what I mean.

Ive made my decision after today,im tired of working on it just problem after irritating problem this is one svt not worth the time or money anymore...fix one thing and 3 more problems......change the belt and a idler pulley goes,change alternator and idler pulley and tensioner pulley goes,change the injectors and intake mani gasket and vacuum leak happens,try to change struts and spindle/hub assembly and tie rod end gets warped and stripped beyond being able to get it off normally,change the front pads and bleed and the rear caliper freezes up.....so as of today that is my parts car im taking insurance off and saving up for a different car

Back