• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

weapon r header??? zetec!!!!

yungstar06

CEG'er
hey guys bottom says what i drive my simple question mainly for us zetec folk =) is ive been wanting to invest in this header here.( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

but would i see/feel gains im sure it while sound good seeing is to how i wouldnt be running any reasonators or stuff like that juss a greddy old evo series and im guessing ill uprgrade from 2.25 to a grumpy 2.5 . Any advice wanted thanks.

Well I'm not a Zetec guy but I know that 1) any aftermarket header for any car will typically flow better than stock. 2) iirc Zetec's have a catalytic converter on the manifold so replacing it will get rid of the cat therefore flowing better. and 3) $100.00 is not a bad invesment. I think 2.5" would flow too much and lose some scavenging on a N/A 4cyl so you would probably be better off with the 2.25"

Before anybody rips me up for commenting on a zetec related post without experience with zetecs he does say "any advice wanted" haha so correct me if I'm wrong

Well I'm not a Zetec guy but I know that 1) any aftermarket header for any car will typically flow better than stock. 2) iirc Zetec's have a catalytic converter on the manifold so replacing it will get rid of the cat therefore flowing better. and 3) $100.00 is not a bad invesment. I think 2.5" would flow too much and lose some scavenging on a N/A 4cyl so you would probably be better off with the 2.25"

i think your correct. and what you stated applied to all n/a motor to the best of my knowledge.

2.5" is fine on the Zetec and works well. as reference, I made 120WHP on my old Zetec with nothing more than a custom 2.5" exhaust and an intake. still had the stock exhaust manifold and CAT. the car is only rated at 125BHP, or about 105WHP so that means i got a roughly 15WHP gain. the header plus exhaust and intake will help even more.

thanks guys.
striker thanks man for the uplift there makn me feel 2.5 was too big or something lol well i had another question if you dont mind have you heard anything about guys throwing itbs on the zetec seems there running bike carbs like gsxr1000 carbs and cams i here 170 bhp is this correct?

I have seen a few Zetecs with ITBs on homebuilt Locosts (lotus 7 inspired car), perhaps 1 or 2 on a Focus. generally though, ITBs are a real PITA to work with as you have to fine tune each one and they can also be difficult to drive on the street. Your best bet for power out of the Zetec is going to be some form of FI, like a custom turbo setup or a Focus JRSC kit.

This is the best price you'll see for the Zetec's header. I really want to get it but alas, no spare change. One day soon I'll get it. My current cat-back setup (SVT with no res) will probably change in order to compensate for the extra noise though.

yeah i thought the same thing maybe some day.. but ive never really looked into the jrsc kit for zetec do they make good power?

yeah i thought the same thing maybe some day.. but ive never really looked into the jrsc kit for zetec do they make good power?

the Focus JRSC kit will typically make between 170 and 200WHP depending on which kit you get (standard Zetec or SVT Zetec) and the rest of the setup. the SVT Zetec kit requires more modification to work but uses a larger SC unit and is capable of more power.

You can also do a custom turbo setup and the power from that will depend on the turbo used and the PSI you decide to run. generally though, you are limited to about 225-250WHP with the stock internals. that kind of power can be had from a relatively small turbo that will spool up quick and give good power across a large part of the RPM band.

i love turbos always said i would boost my zetec if you dont what kind of setup did you have on your gl sir turbo size etc. and what about engine managment thats always kkinda scared i never seen any good electronics thought yeah i do all this getting turbo and what not but now its not tuned or anything any help there.

im jus trying to get ideas because im wanting more power and something about to change =)

I had a Garrett T3 super 60 at 10PSI and made 200WHP 220WTQ. I had it dyno tuned using SCT xcal2 and their tuning software to flash the PCM. however since you have a 95 im not sure what is available for them.

I think that your only tuning option is a SuperChip. OBD-1 is very limited as far as tuning options. And before you ask, you can't put an OBD-2 PCM in a ODB-1 car. The wiring harnesses are completely different. I know, I used to have one of each. ;)

BP

Back