• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

any major differences between zetec engines?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
a friend of mine that I just put a waterpump on his zetec MTX just had his headgasket go because he drove it around way too long with a bad pump. so we're looking at a new engine for it. it's t-red w/tan and a four bolt subframe, so I'd like to eventually pick it up from him when he's done with it. so I'd like to put a newer/better zetec in it if possible.

are there any major differences between contour zetec, zx2 zetec, and focus zetec?

could we even potentially 2.3 duratec or focus SPI swap it? would that be pretty straight forward?

looking for input, he wants me to hunt an engine down for him pretty soon as all of his oil is on the ground...

thanks in advance guys!

need to know what year it is first as there was a pretty significant change from the 95-97 "silvertop" engines to the 98+ "blacktop" engines.

I think the valve cover was silver, with a black spark plug cover. it'a a pre 98 body with a four bolt subframe. I want to say its a 97 from memory, because when he first got it I remember thinking it might have been the new body. for some reason back in the day I thought 97 was the transitional year like 98 actually is, where some still have early parts...

would there be issues dropping a blacktop into an early? I mean we drop taurus engines in contours, how different could it be?

I'm trying to put the newest possible engine in it because I'd like to buy it from him as a beater when he retires it. then I'll swap the subframes with the coug and leave the early as a matching red beater...

hell if i know, I know little of the zetecs. the water pump was the most intrusive thing I've ever done on one. other than that I've done a lot of diagnostics and sensor/electronics replacing on my brother in laws 02 focus...

all blacktops have a different motor mount than the silver tops. all 98-02 Contour/Cougar/ZX2s have VCT and will not work in a pre98 since the PCM has no way to control the VCT. the 00+ Focus is still a blacktop but does NOT use VCT AND has a different oil pan that would need to be swapped. they can be used in the 98+ cars without mounting issues (as long as you use the Contour pan and pickup tube), and should be able to be dropped into the pre98s with some changing of parts (would need the 98+ fender mount and oil pan/pickup tube).

all of that said, just because its newer doesnt mean its better. the Contours got the better intake manifold design that only the 2000 Focus got. the silvertops have HUGE main caps (larger than the billet mains available) that should not have a problem supporting tons of power, while the blacktops got smaller main caps. the timing belt routing/water pump/oil pump/timing covers all changed between the silvertop and blacktop engines so you cant just go mixing and matching parts either. Personally, if its a silvertop i would leave it alone as it will run for freaking ever as long as its been maintained decently.

ok, so the only benefit to a blacktop would be VCT, and we can't use it, so another silvertop is the way to go effectively?

which engine does a JRSC go on the easiest?

the JRSC is designed to fit the Focus engine, but can be made to work on any of the Zetecs. just make sure to find one for a standard Zetec instead of the SVTF Zetec as the intake ports are slightly different in the head.

there's actually an SVTF engine in the list of available engines, I think it was out of price range though...

I'm gunna try and get out there to look at it tomorrow or something and if it's not totally destroyed I may just wind up shoving a head gasket on it....

all blacktops have a different motor mount than the silver tops. all 98-02 Contour/Cougar/ZX2s have VCT and will not work in a pre98 since the PCM has no way to control the VCT. the 00+ Focus is still a blacktop but does NOT use VCT AND has a different oil pan that would need to be swapped. they can be used in the 98+ cars without mounting issues (as long as you use the Contour pan and pickup tube), and should be able to be dropped into the pre98s with some changing of parts (would need the 98+ fender mount and oil pan/pickup tube).

all of that said, just because its newer doesnt mean its better. the Contours got the better intake manifold design that only the 2000 Focus got. the silvertops have HUGE main caps (larger than the billet mains available) that should not have a problem supporting tons of power, while the blacktops got smaller main caps. the timing belt routing/water pump/oil pump/timing covers all changed between the silvertop and blacktop engines so you cant just go mixing and matching parts either. Personally, if its a silvertop i would leave it alone as it will run for freaking ever as long as its been maintained decently.

i beleive there is also a difference in the contour vct head and the SVT head. as the contour had vct on the exhaust and the svt had it on the intake. there are quiet a few component differences inside and outside a focus SVT engine then on the contour.

I REALLY recommend against trying to put a Focus engine into a Pre-98 Contour. I am just about done doing this myself, and it was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done. Although everything is similar, pretty much nothing fits without modification or replacement.

It has turned out to be a hell of a lot more complicated and expensive than I had anticipated.

VCT on the Contour wasn't for performance. Only for emissions. Ford did it to eliminate the EGR valve.

IMHO, get another pre-98 Zetec and turbo the crap out of it. I have a spare '96 zetec that you can have for free but it'd be a bit of a drive from GA.

You could put a JRSC on a Pre-98 but you have to do a lot of hacking on the rear accessory mount. You's also need to make a pulley bracket to get the proper belt routing around the JRSC and alternator. The Focus JRSC pulley won't work. The accessory bracket is completely different.

i beleive there is also a difference in the contour vct head and the SVT head. as the contour had vct on the exhaust and the svt had it on the intake. there are quiet a few component differences inside and outside a focus SVT engine then on the contour.

Yeah, the SVT Focus has VCT on the intake and the head also uses a dual runner intake manifold. Both of which make it pretty much impossible to use with a Contour PCM. (I've compared the pinout of a Focus PCM and a Contour PCM and they are totally different.)

BTW, why isn't this info in a friggin stickie? Like Striker, I've probably typed the Zetec differences a dozen times. ;)

BP

Back