• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 GL dyno

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
current mods consist of cool air intake, 2.5in custom bent exhaust, aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator set to 40psi, FR wires, MSD coil pack.

dyno.jpg

yeah but i dont have access to the school dyno anymore so im not sure how im gonna go about doing that. if i knew exactly what caused it then i might be able to fix it without the dyno.

Your so lucky that you can use the schools dyno. Impressive numbers, it just means my 4 cylinder is alot slower than I thought.

Yikes! At least bump your FPR up 5psi. It even looks like your power dips when your AFR peaks around 3700rpm.

Do you have any kind of data logger? Your fuel trims are probably maxed out.

HTH,
BP

i do not have any kind of datalogger. however when i looked at long term fuel trim after installing the FPR it actually showed the PCM taking away fuel.

as for tuning i would say that yeah its a tuning issue cause i have no tune. its a completly stock pcm

You have to watch out though. The Long Term Fuel Trim is opposite from the short term. It's weird. A positive STFT means that you are running lean (it's adding fuel.) BUT a negative LTFT also means that you're running lean. I don't know why it works that way. Kinda funky.

See if you can find a local CEG'er with some decent data logging software.

BTW, did you move back south yet?

BP

actually i do believe that a negative LTFT means its rich and is trying to make it leaner. and STFT doesnt mean anything really.

as for moving back to Kentucky, thats this weekend.

after thinking about it i suspect a dying fuel pump is the main cause for the A/f ratio problem. when i tested the flow i was only getting about 8oz in 30 seconds. the pump doesnt hold residual pressure anymore either so im looking at replacing it with a walbro gss317 unit. unless you guys have a better pump suggestion.

Last edited:
ok so i upped the FPR to 45 psi on monday. last night my check engine light came on. check the codes this morning and its a P0172 - system too rich. what gives?

You up the fuel pressure, even though it is lean only around 4k, ups the fuel pressure across the rpm range, when you are running richer at higher RPM. I'd say you are running too rich in the upper rpm range.

My suggestion is take off the fuel pressure regulator. You don't need it for an intake and exhaust.

You won't need it for a turbo setup either (if you do it right with a full out custom tune). So sell it.;)

Did you reset the PCM? If not, I wonder if there is something funky with that FPR.

Where was the oxygen sensor when you were on the dyno? Tailpipe? If so, that can read lean when you're fine.

yeah it was a sniffer style wideband. i did not reset the pcm. i think im just gonna leave it at 40 for now. im working on getting a fuel pump (walbo gss 317) and i just bought an underdrive pulley. i still think the dying fuel pump is a big part of the problem. it is the factory unit with 227000 miles on it.

Back