• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A question regarding the CTA intake

96_NoVA_Zetec

New CEG'er
Hello Gurus of CEG,
I come to you, baffled. I switched from the stock intake (with K&N drop-in) to the CTAmotorsports intake, following the instructions here: http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contour_parts/ctazetecintakeinstall.htm
I noticed a couple of issues.
1) It seems that acceleration isn't as strong, from 4500 to redline.
Almost seems like "too much air" going into the chamber.
2) When shifting to neutral (especially when coming to a stop/intersection), the idle noticeably dips to 750, sometimes 600 RsPM.
One minor concern: There is no breather at the CTA's PCV hose connection. Shouldn't I worry about oil entering the combustion chambers?

So far, I have not seen a CEL (am worried about too lean A:F mix) , but am baffled why acceleration seems so "flat" at high revs. Am WORRIED about the idle dipping so precipitiously during city driving.

Can anyone weigh in, I greatly value the collective knowledge of the CEG Community!:help:

Cheers,
Shamoon

JRichardson,
Thanks for the insight. Question: What exactly do you mean by "messed up"?
What I did: I used screw clamps (hose clamps) on both ends of cam breather hose. I was forced to use the stock rubber hose, as there was a tapered "nipple" on the cam breather hose outlet at the cam cover.

what i mean is i put the breather hose AFTER the MAF sensor and it's supose to be before. it caused my car to run rich or lean can't remmber which it was but i was gettin funny idling, poor performance, and my car eventually started shaking at around 70mph. I don't know the setup that you have (i made mine myself) but all I did was put a breather filter on the cam cover and that solved the problem. I you want I can send you pics of the system I have. or there already on the intake threads on the zetec section.

i decided to check the instructions you said you were given and I say that the people who designed that intake weren't thinking clearly because that cam breather tube HAS to be BEFORE the MAF sensor. it draws air into the cam cover and this removes air that the MAF has accounted for thus causing a rich situation. I have a way to fix this, if you want I can put a picture up that shows how I fixed it.

i decided to check the instructions you said you were given and I say that the people who designed that intake weren't thinking clearly because that cam breather tube HAS to be BEFORE the MAF sensor. it draws air into the cam cover and this removes air that the MAF has accounted for thus causing a rich situation. I have a way to fix this, if you want I can put a picture up that shows how I fixed it.

jay,
please DO send the pictures, I am rather frustrated as I cannot get the silicone hose over that breather "nipple". My email is smahmud@cox.net

thanks,
shamoon

in my personal opinion i think you should try to get your money back for that intake unless you really like it. if you want to keep it plug up that hole in the intake pipe and put a breather filter on the cam cover. and if you decide to change it and you want a cai i can give you the directions on how to make the one i made for my zetec.

Back