• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine mounts

mirdita pos

CEG'er
hey whats up guys?
in case you havent met me yet im rob
and i just got into ford stuff. and so far im not happy i am haveing alot of problems with my car right now and i was wondering since i have to shell out wads of cash to fix it i dont have money for engine mounts i despretly need
so i was thinking what if i just fill my busted ones with some poly urethene
i heard that this is good with the one con which is that the rides are a lil bumpier.

do you guys think this will work?
also the metal part looks to be sound but the plastic thing looks kinda shytty
but i have never seen a bad mount and a good mount
thanks
rob

...so i was thinking what if i just fill my busted ones with some poly urethene
i heard that this is good with the one con which is that the rides are a lil bumpier.

do you guys think this will work?
also the metal part looks to be sound but the plastic thing looks kinda shytty
but i have never seen a bad mount and a good mount
thanks
rob
I read a recent post where someone did this (filling with polyurethane) and said it worked for them. And yes, it does increase the NoiseVibrationHarshness.

Edit. Somewhere in the middle of this thread, swissfrank talks about the polyurethane.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2269&page=2

And this thread has links to picture of a tranny sitting on a subframe (for a V6 and to a "how-to" (?) for changing the mounts.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4977&highlight=mounts

Last edited:
I read a recent post where someone did this (filling with polyurethane) and said it worked for them. And yes, it does increase the NoiseVibrationHarshness.

Not necessarily recent, but I did it to my old pre-98 when I put the stick into it in `04. I removed all the material from the roll resistors and completely filled them with poly. The engine mount and the trans mount were just filled over the stock rubber. Flexibility was reduced to almost nil. NVH went way up. If I could get the tires broke free they would spin like crazy, if they started to hook up and bounced, ALL of that would be transfered up the drivetrain into the cabin. Intresting experiment and I would probably do it again, but not on a daily driver....then again, women did seem to enjoy its idle. :naughty:

Wasnt terribly difficult to do, just time consuming. They need, IIRC, a week to cure completely at 70 degrees F. I picked up the urethane from McMaster-Carr.

Last edited:
damn so how the hell did you have it on 70 for a week? i guess this wil have to be a summer project. cuz its winter here and i dont think mommy dearest will be to happy with leaving the stove on.
whats iirc? i thought that was a forum or something.
and is poly expensive? and this is a daily drive would you recommend this for me or just buy them new mounts i think its 300 bucks

damn so how the hell did you have it on 70 for a week? i guess this wil have to be a summer project. cuz its winter here and i dont think mommy dearest will be to happy with leaving the stove on.
whats iirc? i thought that was a forum or something.
and is poly expensive? and this is a daily drive would you recommend this for me or just buy them new mounts i think its 300 bucks

I just brought them into the house and set them in front of one of the heater vents. Seems to have done the trick.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

The poly is considerably cheaper then $300. You could probably pick up some crappy ones from the j/y and poly those. After they dry completely you could just swap them without any downtime on your car. Doing it again on a daily driver, Id just use slightly softer poly. I used Shore 94A.

Back