• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1996 Engine and Tranny Swap with 1998 NGV

beantastic

New CEG'er
I have a 1998 CNG Contour that is having transmission issues. The issue is shifting into second and into 4th (4 speed transmission right?) are rough. To get it to shift I have to get the rpms past where it would normally shift then let off the gas and it will shift then I can press the gas and accelerate again. I took it to a few shops both of which quoted me $1800+ for transmission repairs. So I found a 1996 Contour on the local classifieds with an engine and transmission both under 30k on their rebuilds. The person is asking $400 for the car (it was wrecked in a front end collision) So any chance of doing that swap. Mostly just the transmission as well. The engine would be an added bonus but the transmission is what I actually need. Also both of them are automatic transmissions.

Thanks, Ben

Last edited:
it might work but you wold need to research the change points in the atx design over the years. it would be best to match year for an atx swap.

I beleive that most do not know the CD4E that well to give a good answer. since you have the CNG i don't believe many know whats different with the engine and if it can be swapped.

Last edited:
well you cant easily swap the pre98 engine into the 98+ cars anyways, mostly due to the VCT in the later cars.

for the ATX, like BrApple said, your best bet is going to be to match years. there were various changes made through the years so sticking with your year, and sometimes newer, is the best choice.

smells like a 2 4 broken band

smells like a 2 4 broken band

Your trans symptoms smell like a broken 2 4 band. To test if this is the case, unplug the ROUND connector under the battery after you remove the clip. After you disconnect the connector start up the car and put into drive. If the car moves then it is NOT the 2 4 band. If the car just sits there and does not move then it is probably the 2 4 band.

If you can swap trans, you have the skill set to replace the band. If you ignore the urge to completely rebuild the trans putting in a 2 4 band for about $150 total parts. You should not need any special trans tools for this job.

Could be band cracked but not completely broken, if broken would fail the test just given but might pass since he states he DOES have 2-4, but just delayed shift into them. Could be a problem with servo hydro supply too. Partially blown servo seal would do same thing.

Thank you for the replies. I had already planned to rebuild the transmission I just figured if I could get a transmission and and engine for that cheap that were recently rebuilt that I should jump on it.

Absolutely right

Absolutely right

Could be band cracked but not completely broken, if broken would fail the test just given but might pass since he states he DOES have 2-4, but just delayed shift into them. Could be a problem with servo hydro supply too. Partially blown servo seal would do same thing.

If that is the case, just keep on driving, in short order it will be broken.

If it is a broken band and you can resist the temptation to rebuild the trans, you should be able to get by without any special tools. Brapple was one of the few able to resist the urge and did the job for about $150. You will have to pull the central shaft out as well as the oil pump to get to the band. Tempting as it may be, NO you can't just pull the oil pump out as it supports the main shaft.

Back