• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake/filter question

plymwdy

CEG'er
I just installed a Sleeper Z type intake from the throttle body to the Air Flow Sensor (?) which connects directly to the filter box. My question is; what would be better a K&N flat filter in the original air box or an after market cone type air filter? The air flow sensor has a 3 1/4 inch flange on it, I can't seem to find a cone type filter with that size inlet. I could probably have the muffler shop make me an adapter out of exhaust tubing or go with a 3 1/2 inch filter and an adapter ring of some type to fill the gap, or just use a K&N stock type flat filter. If I go with the stock air box is there anything that can be done to it to free up the flow inside it? Any ideas would be appreciated. 1997, 2.0 Zetec with ATX.

Mark in Kansas :crazy:

Many 3" filters can be stretched over the MAF. However, I doubt you'll see significant gains over a flat filter in the stock location.

you probably won't see any significant gains on any type of intake for these cars. maybe about 1 -3 hp...if your lucky. the tone will change before any type of HP gain.

you probably won't see any significant gains on any type of intake for these cars. maybe about 1 -3 hp...if your lucky. the tone will change before any type of HP gain.

not true, keep in mind this is a Zetec. with just an intake, exhaust, AFPR I made 120WHP out of one with over 200K miles on it. they were only rated at 125BHP to begin with so thats about 14WHP from just those 3 things (and the AFPR was just set to stock pressure at the time)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just go with a K&N flat filter in the original airbox. Just getting those other two pieces out from the engine bay was a big image enhancer. BTW the idle seems more stable, I wonder if I had a vacuum leak somewhere in the parts/connections I replaced. Hmmm. :) Big "Thank-you" to xtascox for the buy on the intake set up!

were could i find a cold air intake for my 96 ford contour.. I heard they were custom focus intakes but i cant find one at all...Any help??

Go to the Weapon-R website and take a look at the different types of cold air intakes. They have 1 for your car. I have a 96 Ford Contour and that's where I got mine from. Here's a picture. Zoom in on the picture to get a closer look.

Here's the website: http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=110

If you look around the internet, you might be able to find this cold air intake cheaper than what Weapon-R is charging.

were could i find a cold air intake for my 96 ford contour.. I heard they were custom focus intakes but i cant find one at all...Any help??

Back