• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header questions

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I know headers for these cars have been covered 100's of times, but i have a few small questions. I'm ordering one of the weapon R headers off of ebay for 100 bucks and want to make sure i dont get boned when i put it on.

I know there is word going around that the header will crack if the exhaust isnt hung right. what should i check?

Also with the EGR valve, i know people use a small filter, and others use a block off plate. My question is, how much would it cost to have an exhaust shop weld on a flange for the EGR tube? I know my tube is busted, but i want it to atleast pass that part of emissions. I'm going to weld the shell of a cat around part of the pipe to make it look like its there. Over all i'm not too worried about it cuz i can do my own inspections.

Neither question i asked was answered in that thread. Mostly talked about MIL eliminaters which i dont need. Thanks for the PM though.

to help prevent it from cracking make sure you use the metal bracket to help support it. the one that attaches to the axle bearing bracket.

EGR could be fabed easily enough. drill hole, weld on bung, cut tube, weld on new tube to extend to current position.

Thanks! the bracket that you mentioned no longer exists on my car due to rust. i guess i'll either have to buy one or fab one up. As far as the EGR tube goes, it sounds like an exhaust shop job to me. i dont want to mess up the look of the header.

i don't know if you found a bargain or something but i've contacted two different sellers and as far as i can tell these 100 buck headers on ebay are not weapon r headers. one guy tried telling me that they were made by SLP and the other guy told me that it was a custom header of his design that he had made by a local shop. i'm not trying to trash talk anything you have i'm just saying FYI. i've been wanting to get one due to a crack in my exhaust manifold so if you don't mind post some pics after you get it installed and lets us know how the install went. thanks

i don't know if you found a bargain or something but i've contacted two different sellers and as far as i can tell these 100 buck headers on ebay are not weapon r headers. one guy tried telling me that they were made by SLP and the other guy told me that it was a custom header of his design that he had made by a local shop. i'm not trying to trash talk anything you have i'm just saying FYI. i've been wanting to get one due to a crack in my exhaust manifold so if you don't mind post some pics after you get it installed and lets us know how the install went. thanks

there have been a couple people to order them and every time they show up in a Weapon R box that has been shipped from Weapon R directly. :shrug:

oh okay. well this makes me fell a little better about ordering one. like i said i wasn't trying to rag on anyone or anything i was just posting the info i had. thanks striker.

To those who think no EGR means lean, you're showing your intelligence. The factory setup on ALL cars cuts EGR off at maximum WOT load, where engine damage potential is the highest. You don't see those melt do you? Com'on, use that head for something else other than an earring holder. I'm presently running a zetec all over that has had no EGR operating for several years.

EGR on just means less air to burn, the PCM just adjusts for that same as the difference between idle (less air) and faster speeds (more air).

If you go lean, you have other problems as the entire system is arranged specifically not to do that. Meaning your PCM has lost the ability to set/regulate A/F ratios. EGR has nothing to do with that.

EGR is theoretically a calibrated vacuum leak but different in that what it leaks is not burnable, therefore cannot make lean. All it can do is dilute.

You boys so crack me up.

To those who think no EGR means lean, you're showing your intelligence. The factory setup on ALL cars cuts EGR off at maximum WOT load, where engine damage potential is the highest. You don't see those melt do you? Com'on, use that head for something else other than an earring holder. I'm presently running a zetec all over that has had no EGR operating for several years.

EGR on just means less air to burn, the PCM just adjusts for that same as the difference between idle (less air) and faster speeds (more air).

If you go lean, you have other problems as the entire system is arranged specifically not to do that. Meaning your PCM has lost the ability to set/regulate A/F ratios. EGR has nothing to do with that.

EGR is theoretically a calibrated vacuum leak but different in that what it leaks is not burnable, therefore cannot make lean. All it can do is dilute.

You boys so crack me up.

I said potential. My car runs lean as it is already (haven't pinpointed the problem, it's very random). If I were to get a header, the lack of EGR would definitely be noticeable.

i know the EGR doesnt make a car run lean, but without it hooked up to the exhaust, and putting a small filter on, it'd be taking in unburned air and lean it out really bad during cruizing when the EGR is supposed to open. Plus, wouldnt a block off plate and removing the EGR make the CEL come on? i dont want a CEL, i have enough lights on already. (ABS, TCS)

'the lack of EGR would definitely be noticeable. '

Oh, really? Tell me on normally operating car when it's working and when it's not. Header won't affect that either.

Yes, the light comes on, I just hook mine back up for a day or two to pass inspection, then defeat it again.

why wouldnt you leave it hooked up all the time? Also, with mine being a 95, it doesnt matter if the light is on. i just dont want it on incase something else goes wrong under the hood.

My boy's zetec Focus. Tired of buying the new style DPFE sensors which Ford can't make right for crap. Sensor goes bad every time I turn around. So I disconnect it and ignore light until inspection time. Wipe light, inspect and disconnect again. Car also had a penchant for sudden crappy idle and die with same new sensors, problem cured with disconnecting it. Car runs great with no EGR to it. That setup runs super short DPFE supply lines, water in exhaust is what messes up the sensor. One day I'll get off my butt and rework that setup to maybe stop the problem. Too lazy right now though.

Back