• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

K&N Filter

SquareHead

CEG'er
I put a K&N filter in my Zetec tonight. What a difference!
Throttle response, acceleration and driveability has really improved.
Got it on sale for $54. Not bad at all really considering a Fram is $15 and doesn't fit very well.

It's all in your head. The sound makes you think it's sooo much better. I'm not saying it does nothing at all, just not anything crazy.

That is unless your original filter was beyond clogged.

I did the switch awhile ago, didn't notice to much. Throttle response seemed better but nothing that wow-ed me. If you check out the dyno comparison on the zetec performance page, you'll see that the K&N filter has the worst cost per HP than everything else.

IIRC, the underdrive pully made the best cost per HP.

eh.. i noticed a little difference when i dropped in the K&N in my old GL..

it felt alittle more peppy, but nothing special.

lol, its not the sound.. it shouldn't be making much more of a sound unless its the cone filter that was put on.

Well, what I said earlier was on the fact that I have a CTA intake, I did notice a good bit of increased throttle response, and sure.. the sound is good :)

Yeah I love the sound my cone K&N filter makes when you step on it. But you got to remember its just an air filter. Its not like you put a blower on!

I put a K&N filter in my Zetec tonight. What a difference!
Throttle response, acceleration and driveability has really improved.
Got it on sale for $54. Not bad at all really considering a Fram is $15 and doesn't fit very well.

Do you have a SleeperZ intake? If not, DO IT NOW!!! It will magnify all of your gains. That intake resonator crap has to go.

IIRC, the underdrive pully made the best cost per HP.

Yep, UDP ($22/HP) then Stage 3 cams ($26/HP). The air filter comes in at a painful $133/HP. :shocked:

I didn't realize that the K&N panel filter was soo pricey. Heck, I think I got my ZXTuner UDP for $50.

HTH,
BP

Last edited:
I've seen the Sleeper Z intake and it looks good. Was 1995 the only year for the resinator intake? It's a pain in the rear when working on the motor.
I 've been meaning to get the parts together for it.
Is it really that good?

All of the Contour/Mystique Zetecs have the intake resonators/silencers.

It does help over stock. The resonators/silencers slow and restrict the air flow. They are only there to quiet down the intake and make old ladies happy.

IMHO, the SleeperZ intake is better than the CTA or Focus short-ram style intake. The short ram intakes create less of a restriction but they pull in VERY hot underhood air. I used to have a digital thermometer hooked up to my CTA. It would frequently go over 158 degrees in the summer. (The thermometer could only read to 158 degrees.)

The parts are also pretty darn cheap especially when compared to an aftermarket short-ram intake.

HTH,
BP

Back