• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 weeks

mirdita pos

CEG'er
well after 2 weeks the contour died
i got it and it drove and then slowly but surely it deteriated
the lil 4 banger started to stall then the accell got stuck twice and once in reverse (custom body work with a pole)
now i was driving it and hten i started here like a clicking metalish sound and then on the high way it stalled on my that was real funn especialy when it didnt turn back on.
so now i try to turn it on an dthen it does but it runs ****ty i cant even go more then 20 mph on tha bytch up hill and the noise im sooooooo scared its a valve tappp i hope it isnt man.
but if worst comes to worst what options em i looking at ?
engine? or re work it or what?
basically everything has to do with the intake mani and now i have the tapping sound
help please

Did your oil light come on? Are you burning anything? If so, blue or white smoke?

Is your oil or coolant low?

It could just be that your timing belt or timing belt tensioner is shot. That would cause it to jump teeth and make your Zetec run like total crap.

A completely plugged catalytic converter would also limit power, but it wouldn't cause the metallic sound.

Automatic or manual?

HTH,
BP

ok i have time to type now

its a automatic and the cat isnt plugged. i left it at my mechanic and he said he is just ganna get a new engine.

with my engine there was stalling if it was in drive or in reverse and i change the iac i changed the hose thing that is on the firewall i changed the disturburater i changed the throttle body. i changed alot but still there was stalling so if i figured if you reved the motor and it stayed on then i should just turn that throttle body pin to make it rev a lil higher. ok so i did that.... than she started making like a bubblely sound from the throttle body. i didnt pay it no mind till it started making that tapping sound and when that happend it started to get harder for me to turn the car on like i would have to hit the gas like if it was a carbed car. i think i got hosed a gran for her with 140 k miles on the clock.
does any one know how much a engine from the jy cost?
or by what i told you can any one take a crack at it?

ps the tapping sound only came from like the drive side it sounded more like it was coming from my feet more then anything else but i also need a new axel cuz at high speed upwards of 50 it shakes reali bad

Please, please punctuate and capitalize. Your post is so hard to read.

Anyway, is the metallic noise coming directly from the engine? If so, it could be something internal like a con-rod or a bearing. However, I have a feeling its coming from something in the body, most likely a wheel bearing.

Either way, changing your "disturburater" or throttle body wouldn't remedy any problem that could cause a noise like you described.

Verify that the noise is actually coming from the ENGINE, not some other part of the car.

ok
the reason why i changed all those things was because it stalled i figured it might be one of those also the egr iac and stuff like that. now the tapping sound didnt appear till later after i changed all those things and advanced the reving so it wouldnt stall. if not i would have to nuetral bomb the damn thing.
so the tapping sound is a engine noise because when it stalled on me and didnt start for a while then it sounded worse. also the sound only happends when im in gear and when i put it in nuetral and rev it high just before the rev limiter kicks in.
honestly i dont know what the hell could be the problem ?
and does any body know how much these engines cost? im hoping not alot cause i dont have that type of money and i gatta get around

~rob

you sure the tapping isn't typical zetec lifter tick?

to me, it sounds like your timing belt is off. pull the valve cover off and see if the cams line up.

whats a zetec lifter tick?
im new to ford and american cars. but like i said the noise came out of no where i wasnt there before i bought the car and it used to start right up.
now i get like a bubbling sound like when you have a ccup under water and you let the air out it makes a sound like that. then i need to start giving it gas and all this other stuff
what to do? i did a lil reaserach and the egines for for like 2 gran.
guys help me please
oh yea be for i forget how do i know if the cams are lined up.

and will this cuz the car to stall on my all the time during revers and in drive it only stalls when i dont rev it . at stop lights it would shake me around a lil.
what could be the problem?

oh yea also to give you more of and idea of the sound
it kinda sounds like one of those fans with metal blades sound like when you stick something metal into the blades its that tapping sound and the faster i go the faster the tapping, sounds.
again the sound only happends when the engine has load on it like if its in drive.

Is it worse when the engine is cold?

You should be able to find a replacement engine for much less than $2000. You won't find a brand new one, but look around and you can find one from a wrecked car for a couple hundred.

wow.
well ethier way i dont think i should have to pay for that since the mechanic sold it to me like that. i had the car 2 weeks and its dead already.
what you guys think? should i have to pay for a car that i only had two weeks and put about 700 miles on it what the hell could i have done to break the engine?
like i said the car has to be nuetral bombed
and no its ****ty hot or cold doesnt realy matta

I would say to check the state of your MAF and your air filter. They can, without a doubt, hinder the performance of the car. They can make it very difficult to start and keep running, and they can leave "dead" spots in your rpm range. I can imagine with an ATX hitting a dead spot would be much worse then with a MTX.

How many miles do you have on the car? Zetec's are often known for the lifter tick, which is prominent while cold, and just sounds like metal tapping metal.

Whatever it may be, I suggest you take it back to the place you bought it. Hopefully you have a 30-day warranty at least.

i took it back to the guy i bought it from he also is a mechanic
he said that he looked at it and he spoke to my mom so she was vague on what he said lol she said something about the dash board. but yea she also said taht he said it was the oil pump or something and i was thinking well thats logical but my oil light never came on. so how could this be?
and the car has 140k on it and it doesnt do the lifter tick well atleast for now.
umm the mass air sensor thing should be good because we replaced it <does any one know how i can tell if its broken?> ii donno what else to think
ccause here are all the sysmptoms

when i turn on the car

there is a hesitation.

there is also a bubbly fish tank water sound.( some one has to know that sound its like a dripp or something.)

there is a tapping sound only when you have it in gear or when you have it in nuetral and your rev it. sounds like a fan with metal blades grinding on a spoon or somthing.

when i drive past 50 there is a pulsading vibration all over the car but when i turn the wheel to the right the vibration goes away (i think its a axel)

its stalls when its in any gear except park and in nuetral.
you have to rev it to keep it on

Sounds like a loose timing belt/timing belt jumped a tooth. The tapping sound could very well be the loose timing belt slapping the cover. As far as the hesistation and stalling it sounds like your timing is off; timing belt jumped a tooth caused by being loose.

Pull the top timing belt cover off and check the tensioner. There should be no movement by hand.

If your timing belt tensioner is bad, yes. Your timing will be all over the map. Where are you located? You may want to check in one of the regional forums to find someone in your area that is more familiar with the 'tour.

BP

me and the mechanic got pissed of looking into everything so he said to give him 200 bucks and hell get me a new engine
f it dude that engine had me mad.
with all the stalling and everything and plus i need a new maf
hopefully from all the neutral bombing it did break my tranny or else ill be even more mad
but thanks so much guys for the help
i really wanna get this tour up and ready so i can start investing my money on making it clean and junk

ok guys i got great news
i spoke to my mechanic and he got me a good engine for 200 bucks yay!!!!
so lets see wat happends.
hopefully everything works out and all
because i realy want to get started on making this ride me.
one thing though i was wondering do you guys think i can find some one to trade me there stick shift tour for me atx? like out right? or somehting because i think thats why i am not completly in love with my contour i hate automatic.

Yeah, good luck finding someone willing to do that! :rolleyes: It's a bit of work to find an MTX/Zetec, as most seem to be autos. I did stumble across one on ebay a few days back. It might still be listed. Most Zetec owners with the ATX despise their transmissions, because they do suck what little power the Z delivers. If you really want a manual, you'll probably just have to buy one outright.

hmm wow
so how much you think i can get for my 97 contour gl with 139.700 on the clock. like in bad condition then like in decent and how much for mint conditon?
thanks for the hellp because i really want a mtx hell i wouldnt mind getting a duratec i dont car i just want a manny tranns
and depending on my experience i might go for a svt
since im here already does any one know how much i need for a svt

Back