• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

question about gauges

turbojimbo

CEG'er
i have a 99 se and i dont have a tach and i would like one. can i take the gauge cluster with a tach out of another contour and put it right in mine or would that not work?

i have another question if someone could answer,
will a mtx off a pre 98 duratec bolt up to a zetec?

i have a 99 se and i dont have a tach and i would like one. can i take the gauge cluster with a tach out of another contour and put it right in mine or would that not work?

There are threads on this that discuss this in detail.

i have another question if someone could answer,
will a mtx off a pre 98 duratec bolt up to a zetec?

Short answer is no.

I added one to mine. You'll need a cluster from a 99, and you'll need to run a wire from the computer wiring harness to the cluster for the tachometer. Also, you'll need to pull the needle off the speedometer (which will require calibration) to get to the odometer to put the proper mileage in.

it also has to be the same tranny or the speedo will not work propertly. ford quoted 170 to reprogram the speedo so giving some research is well advised. and aftermarket tachs don't work unless you get the coilpack adapter for them. you can also take a stock tach and hardwire it into the original wiring harness and place it somewhere else. that's what i did.

I pulled a cluster out of a same-year Mystique that had the tach, and was only 3k off in similar-mileage and it bolted right up and worked fine. I didn't fiddle with the odometer at all, I just wrote the "actual" in Sharpie on the cluster so if there was ever an issue over the exact mileage difference, I had it all documented. 3k and a few 10ths wasn't worth diddling with the odometer in my book.

As far as calibration is concerned, unless your running rims and tires that are not the same diameter as stock you can use an ODB II tool and see the vehicle speed via the VSS using the operation data view on the ODB II tool. I have a 96 GL I just installed a mystique zetec cluster in. I had to run a wire from the PCM PIN 46 if I'm not mistaken to the cluster. Swapped my ODO and calibrated using the ODB II tool. Very easy mod.

Back