• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

More Power?

T Hudson Jr

CEG'er
i want to get more power out of my 95 Zetec ATX... 135000 miles.....but im not sure what to do and i dont have alot of money. i was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction........i am right now looking at a cougar weapon r header.....but what else could i do? any help would be appreciated

there really isnt much you can do with the ATX as they are very fragile. also, without a lot of money you are limited to cheap bolt ons, which dont get you much either.

that said, if you want to do some basic bolt ons, do an Intake, Header, Exhaust, UDP, and adjustable FPR.

Striker, I have a question for you. As you know, I'm looking to do something to my fuel system for better performance. Is it wise to get 19 pounds fuel injectors or an adjustable FPR, or both? I currently have stock fuel injectors.

the adjustable FPR makes a pretty decent improvement. you cant run the 19lb injectors without getting a tune, which isnt worth it unless you have lots of other mods done and want to make the most of everything. FWIW, I made 121WHP with just an intake, cat-back, and the AFPR set to 40PSI.

ButtonPuncher posted a thread a while back about the AFPR and what part number to get i believe.

So far, my mods and upgrades consists of:
UDP, Weapons-R short ram intake, 200-amp alternator with ODP, 2.25-inch cat-back exhaust, MSD ignition coil pack, Autolite XP Iridium spark plugs, BWD spark plug wires, Optima Deep Cycle Battery (yellow top).

Having said that, from what you're telling me, I can see how an AFPR would give my car a nice performance boost. I found ButtonPuncher's thread on AFPR. I copied the website and will place an order at the end of the month. Based on my upgrades, do you have any other suggestions?

well, the only real upgrades require making a decision to either go FI or stay NA. both routes will be expensive to make more power, with FI having much more potential. If you stay NA then the weapon-R header, ported head, cams, cam gears, larger injectors (21# would be the safe bet) and a tune. could also go with some nitrous as well if you wanted to.

If you wanted to go FI then you have to decide if you want a SC or a turbo. the JRSC for the Focus can be installed with minimal mods but wont make as much power as a nice turbo setup. A turbo setup can easily make 230+WHP but anything over that you will want upgrade pistons and rods, which is an added expense.

will a focus intake fit on my zetec.........it was a 2 liter focus..............and its either AEM or Injen and im getting it for 50 bucks.

how much modding will it take??? it is a full CAI

Probably more than you want to do. The SRI for both the Duratec and Zetec Focus should fit our Zetec, however, with little to no modification. If you were to do this, however, I would suggest capping the breather hole on the pipe, and running a tube with a small filter to the valve cover breather, to maintain a more stock setup.

Back